Re: [art_education] Re: excess drywall/sheetrock

  • Paige Conn
    Message 1 of 46 , Aug 3 7:00 AM
      I landed a large amount of drywall a couple of years ago.  I cut the scraps into 9x12 ish pieces.  We first dampened one side and took the cardboard coating off.  The students then used nails to carve their reliefs they had previously sketched out.  This was an end of the year project for 5th grade and I was pretty open to design choice.  The activity kept them interested and engaged the last few weeks of the year and if they did not complete the work, it was easy to take home and complete (explore with) there.  There are some precautions that need to be taken.  Our sheetrock had glassish fibers in it (maybe it all does) so students wore goggles (which added another element of coolness) and some chose to wear gloves...we had no injuries or reactions though.

      Paige
      Fredericksburg, Texas

    • tara
      Message 46 of 46 , Aug 24 1:26 PM