Re: [art_education] New teacher! Been in the business world.

  • Diane Gregory
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 2 9:49 PM
      Greetings New Teacher!

      Of course, look over the lesson plan ideas in the Incredible Art Department.  Many of my students have studied these lessons and revised them to make them their own.

       I also like the lesson plans at ArtsEdge.  The emphasis at ArtsEdge is on making interdisciplinary connects.  I would encourage you to look at your program in a global way.

      I like the book Rethinking Curriculum in Art Education by Davis Publications.  Do a Google search for Davis Publications.  I use it for my pre-service undergraduate and graduate courses in Art Education.  I like the emphasis on Big Ideas and Essential Questions and these concepts can be used to build a meaningful art program around your particular students.

      I also use the book Emphasis Art.  It is a good book for elementary, middle school and possibly junior high school art if you want to create an studio art centered curriculum.  There is a new edition out...9th edition.

      Cheers,

      Diane Gregory

      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 3 4:27 AM
        Get you a copy of Harry Wong's "first day of school". I will advise you to use a seating chart to learn their names...hopefully with pictures, they like to trick you. And don't have anything out that you care about...they are easily tempted. A trick that works for me, is I
        wear a rubber band and pop it to remind me to chill out and enjoy the show.
        Middle school isn't for everyone. I love it and hope that you will.
        CA
        Leave no Right brain Behind

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "badazz33" <badazz33@...> wrote:

        > Hello all I am a new teacher in alabama who been in the business world for 5yrs. I'm not a middle school art teacher needing aLOT of help with lesson plans. Any help or ideas? I would greatly appreciate the help

      • Paige Conn
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 4 10:37 AM
          Roll Tide!!  Love to see "Alabama".  Taking our daughter there Friday.  She will be a freshman at UA this fall.
          I have been in art education but am now moving to middle school as well.  One resource that I find helpful and a great "go to" is to subscribe to School Arts magazine as well as Arts and Activities magazine.  Both magazines were super to me by sending me old issues before my new subscription began.

          Paige
          Fredericksburg, Texas

          .

        • Diane Gregory
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 4 10:58 AM
            I love School Arts.  Nancy Walkup, Pamela Stephens, Craig Roland have done a fabulous job developing this helpful resource!

            Go confidently in the direction of your dreams--Live the Life You've Imagined!
            Henry David Thoreau, Walden

            Dr. Diane C. Gregory
            Associate Professor of Art Education
            Director, Undergraduate & Graduate Studies in Art Education
            dgregory@...

            Message 5 of 6 , Aug 4 11:52 AM
              Don't forget to scroll through old messages from this group list. It may take a little time searching and skimming posts, but the message archives are a good resource. Just type in different key words in the messages search box (like middle school, new teacher, lesson plans, etc. ) and skim the various older posts- I think you will find lots of helpful things.

              :0)
              Mrs. Prior in VA