Volunteer to do list (was:Re: Reminders for fast finishers

  • pent19
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 1, 2010
      My elementary school is next to a high school so we have volunteers that come over from there and i also have my own students helpers. I have an ongoing list i keep on my desk of things they can do and when i think of a new one i can put it on there. i update it daily or weekly of things i could have someone else do for me, but will need to do myself if i can't get a helper.
      Here's some of my ideas
      -go to library and get newspaper for newspaper bin
      -pick up my laminated stuff and cut it out.
      -take down artwork in hall
      -make tape balls (roll the masking tape so i can hang work during my free period. they stick the rolled tape to my art cart that i use when i am out hanging artwork. This saves me so much time as tape rolling is the most consuming part about hanging artwor
      -label project paper with kindergartners names ( have a master class list available)
      -sort paper by classes
      -pass back artworks
      -sharpen pencils
      -organize materials (mine are often sorted by color, need to be resorted)
      -clear off drying rack
      -put k,1,2 work in portfolios
      -clear off, erase and clean chalkboard, put materials back on chalkboard
      -help change over bulletin boards
      -cutting, punching, stapling and sorting things
      -washing palettes and brushes
      i also train some students during a free period to help me out with special tasks. I train 3-4 students on each; reclaiming clay, using a mini cutting board, hanging artwork, unloading a kiln, photographing artwork, i can count on these kids to give me a hand with these tasks when they are done early, since they have been trained on free time having them do this won't interfere with me instructing other students.. these are usually motivated and talented 5th and 6th graders, but could be a student who needs a lil extra attention.
      If my early finishers get done, i give them a few options off the list, some will pick and some of the will go back and work on their 'finished' project. it does the trick
      Michele NY

    • printmaking04
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 6, 2010
        that is a good checklist thanks for sharing.