Help needed

  • Tracey Smith
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 24 3:13 AM
      I will be teaching a visually impaired student this coming year. From what I understand, she is legally blind and can see little more than blurs of light. She is very bright and will be in my regular education 6th grade classes. Any thoughts or ideas as to how I can help her have a successful experience in my class?
      Thanks so much,
      Tracey
    • Keisha Pegues
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 25 1:38 PM
        Hey

        I teach at a charter school for the deaf and hard of hearing.  It was difficult at first working with the kids because I only knew how to sign the alphabets when I first started!!! But I have learned how to sign. The kids helps me alot, as well at other teachers and staff members.

        Maybe you could take the lessons you want to do with her and go over them with your SE coordinator or the person who is over her IEPS. Does she have one? If so, you can use that to help you. Sit down with the person over that and they can help you  break it down so you will be able to help her.  Also, ask her how you can help her. I did thos alot with my students. I had never worked with deaf kids. I had more then one!!! So ask her what you can do to make things confortable for her. My deaf students (I would have a comb of hearing and deaf in the same class all day) liked to see at the front of the class so they can see me sign.  Talk to her parents too. They would be able to help.

        Keisha

        I will be teaching a visually impaired student this coming year. From what I understand, she is legally blind and can see little more than blurs of light. She is very bright and will be in my regular education 6th grade classes. Any thoughts or ideas as to how I can help her have a successful experience in my class?
        Thanks so much,
        Tracey

      • icreatemore
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 26 4:30 AM
          I will be teaching a visually impaired student this coming year. From what I understand, she is legally blind and can see little more than blurs of light. She is very bright and will be in my regular education 6th grade classes. Any thoughts or ideas as to how I can help her have a successful experience in my class?
          Thanks so much,
          Tracey

          Tracy, I have some experience in this. I have worked with a 7th grader who is blind in one eye, and legally blind in the other. The most can do kid I've ever had. At first, I assumed a lot...by the end of the year she was working with sharp objects on sketch boards. I have asked for her to be in my preadvanced art class this year. Texture and color is her thing. She hates clay. Likes to draw her cat. Also Google blind artist. my personal favorite is http://www.blindart.net/
          hope this helps,
          CA
          No Right braiN leFt beHind