first days

  • go4art@juno.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 6, 2010
      Lisa said>>>>>>>I'm trying to figure out how I want to start off the year; the first days of school specifically>>>>>

      Lisa, welcome to the wonderful world of teaching middle school ! You'll get lots of good information here and other groups. First make sure you connect with your professional community by joining NAEA and your state association. You should also join the NAEAmiddlelevel ning (google search in that format) for ideas and sharing.

      I always take time (and it is valuable time spent) at the beginning to start developing the class into a community. We do activities to promote inclusion, getting to know each other, etc. We don't get into expectations until later and when we do it is a whole group activity. By being part of the process they are invested in how that looks, how things operate, consequences, etc. I use lots of things from the TRIBES program, but there are lots of resources out there.

      best wishes~
      creatively,
      Linda
      (middle school in Oregon)

      Penny Stock Jumping 2000%
      http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4c33babb3c201e3fbdst01vuc
    • Juanetta Bocko
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 7, 2010
        I am having the same delima as to what I need to start with in my art classes.  Linda mentioned the TRIBES program, what exactly is that?

        Juanetta Bocko

        On Tue, Jul 6, 2010 at 6:21 PM, go4art@... <go4art@...> wrote:
[...]

        <*> Your email settings:
           Individual Email | Traditional

        <*> To change settings online go to:
           (Yahoo! ID required)

        <*> To change settings via email:
           art_education-digest@yahoogroups.com
           art_education-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

           http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Cheryl Hancock
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 7, 2010
          Juanetta,
           Check this link out.
           I know one of our teachers at our school here in Australia attended the training and had implemented it in her class Grade 6/7. The difference I saw in the few weeks of implementation was astonishing. Those students who  for example were recorded as not being good  in the art room would be asked at the end of the week to explain their poor behavior to their peers..
          By being accountable to their peers ie when it came to letting down their groups for points and earning privileges it quickly modified their behavior. Compared to the other class -this class was a dream to teach. sadaly this teacher has just moved to another school for the balance of the school year. I hope the new sub teacher will be able to continue this strategy.
           There is quite an extensive training course available  along with books etc

          Cheers Cheryl H

          --
          Cheryl Hancock
          Cooper, Dior and Charisma
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 8, 2010
            Juanita,

            I'm TRIBES certified so I could answer that question. TRIBES is a way to create learning communities within a school. Rather than ramble on about the program, you can visit their website at http://www.tribes.com/

            Ken