Fwd: HELP!! markers/colorsCHRoMATOGRAPHY

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2010

      I sent Pam a scan of a page from Science Arts called Chromatography. I guess I can't send that to KinderKorner.
      So anyway --- I've included some other ideas of how to do a few various experiments with markers and color.
      Check this website and see what the "Kitchen Pantry Scientist" does with the concept of Chromatography.
      Magic Marker Chromatography: When she says "magic markers", she means waterbased markers, the regular kind kids use all the time, not "Sharpies".

      Paper Towel Chromatography
      Materials
      5 different black marking pens (water based)
      paper towels
      scissors
      bowl filled with one inch of water
      tape
      Steps:
      1. Even though the ink from different pens looks the same, it might actually be made of many different
      2. First, cut a paper towel into strips about one inch wide. Then draw a squiggly line across a strip of paper towel with one of your black pens, about an inch up from the bottom. Do the same for all the pens, and be sure to label the strips, so you know which strip goes with which pen.
      3. Hang the strips over a bowl of water. The water should touch the very end of the paper towel, but not the ink.
      4. Tape the paper towels in place and wait to see what happens. The water should creep up the paper towel strips and separate each ink mark into a cool dye pattern. This is called chromatography.

      Coffee Filter Chromatography
      Chromatography sound like serious, boring and difficult science. But it isn't! This project shows you that it can be easy, fun and... colorful!

      So what's chromatography?  it is a method to separate the components of a substance for analytical purposes. In this project we show how it works.

      Materials

      • black non-permanent felt pens (a few different ones, only some will work)
      • coffee filter
      • scissors
      • small glass with water

      To Do:

      Take the coffee filter and cut it into stripes (not too small). Take one of your felt pens and draw a horizontal line in the middle of one of the coffee filter stripes.

      Now take the glass and fill it with water. Put the stripe into the water, but make sure your felt pen line is above the water level. Now watch what happens. The coffee filter sucks the water up slowly. When the water raises above the point where the felt pen line is, the water will take parts of the ink with it. The lighter parts of the ink will raise quickly with the water, up towards the upper edge of the filter stripe, while the heavy parts of the ink stay where they are. That's the principle of chromatography.

      Remove the coffee filter from the glass just before it water reaches its top edge (or when nothing happens any more). Put it on a piece of newspaper and let it dry.