re:private lessons

  • bindy
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1 6:44 AM
      From my recollection, this is a common question, & besides the answers you get here, you might also search the group for key words and see past responses.
      I think you will find that it's hard to tell someone else, especially when we don't what area they are in, what to charge. You can go for what the market bears pretty much, and some classes & skill sets are worth more than others. So make sure you take that into consideration.
      When I teach at a local gallery, I use my most popular projects or art themes that I created for with my kids. I don't do it intentionally, but I when I create something, like my digital photography lesson plan, I go, 'hey, other people might want to try this.' I actually taught that set, slightly abridged, to adults, and they had a great time learning about their cameras. So some classes can be altered and tailored to reach continued education. Don't think just kids.
      I sell myself cheap compared to several other venues in my area, but I get a huge amount of return students each and every session, and I am happy with what I make. Pretty much you have to make it worth your while to go there and teach after you have taught all day. I think some people believe they are getting a better teacher or experience if they pay more, so don't necessarily low ball yourself. But stick to your guns for a period of time on class fees. Sometimes people won't take you because they don't know you or your style of teaching. You have to build a fan base :)
      Good luck,
      Brandy