Re: [art_education] What should I see in Japan when it comes to the arts-

  • Makio Kawashima
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
      Have a good trip.

      In Tokyo
      Post-Impressionism: 115 Masterpieces from the Musée d'Orsay
      May 26 - August 16, 2010
      http://www.nact.jp/english/index.html

      The new Nezu Museum
      http://www.nezu-muse.or.jp/en/index.html
      -------------------------------------
      In Nagoya
      http://www-art.aac.pref.aichi.jp/eng/index.html
      http://www.atsutajingu.or.jp/en/intro/
      http://www.inax.co.jp/ilm/english/

      Makio Kawashima
      http://www015.upp.so-net.ne.jp/biart/Vision.html

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
        I just returned from a week's stay in Nagoya. Although this city is
        not high on the priority list for tourists, I discovered that there
        are many wonderful things to see and do within the city limits, as
        well as fantastic day trips via the Shinkansen ( bullet train). In
        Nagoya, I visited 3 art museums- the Nagoya/Boston Museum of Fine Arts
        ( sister museum to the MFA), the Aichi Perfectual Art Center, and the
        Tokugawa Art Museum and Garden. All 3 were spectacular and I
        recommend them all. In addition, I visited Nagoya Castle and spent a
        day at Nagoya University where the students were having a huge
        festival. We did a day trip to Kyoto( just amazing) and a 2 day trip
        to the Hakone region so we could get up close and personal with Mt
        Fuji. Japan was such an adventure- I navigated the subways on my own
        ( my husband was in a meeting for 4 days) and walked and explored for
        6 hours every day. Not as many people speak English as I had hoped,
        but I was usually able to get info if I needed it. Nagoya Station is
        amazing with so many shops, food vendors and department stores. You
        are in for a treat! Email me privately if you want more detail!
        Marian
      • Cheryl Hancock
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 1, 2010
          To Marian and Makio,
          Thankyou for the information I will now be able to stay sane while my other half throws himself down the mountains. I hope one of the other non ski buddies will put up with all the culture I want to absorb.
          Cheryl

          --
          Cheryl Hancock
          Cooper, Dior and Charisma