Re: [art_education] ideas for an easy lesson

  • Helen Bolger
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 23, 2010
      Hi,

      I'm going into a primary school for a 3 day project with a mixture of
      disabilities - they will all have helpers. I need to plan a project
      that will engage the whole school but leave individual pieces for
      students to take home with them.
      Has anyone worked on anything like this before?

      Any ideas gratefully received!

      Helen

      reens@... wrote:
      >> What about blind contour drawing? I think contour is a great way to show
      >>
      > that you really can draw. You could have them first draw their shoe
      > with out looking at it. (This will help illustrate the importance of
      > looking at what you're drawing if you first don't allow them to look at
      > all.) Then explain blind contour and the importance of really looking at
      > what you are drawing and not relying on what you THINK it looks like,
      > they need to draw every line and every detail no matter how small. Then
      > compare this drawing to their 1st. Usually there is great improvement
      > and students are amazed at what they were able to do. You can move to
      > semi blind contour, have them draw their hands and if time is left
      > classmates can take turns modeling and the class will draw them, they
      > could use thin color markers, use a large sheet of paper and do several
      > of the figure drawings on the one sheet, changing colors with each model
      > change. Check out the site of Marvin Bartel
      > http://bartelart.com/arted/blindcontour.html. Upside down drawing is
      > also a good confidence booster.
      > Reen Shannon
      >
      >> Hello,
      >>
      >> Does anyone know of a place online that may give ideas for fairly easy
      >> 'art lessons' for grown-ups that could be done in an hour or so? I know
      >> that I could work on basic drawing, but am trying to think of more ideas
      >> that would help grown-ups who are insecure about their ability or
      >> blocked..to get moving and create something in an hour or two and begin to
      >> gain confidence.
      >>
      >> This sounds like a stupid question, but maybe someone has some pointers or
      >> websites that deal with this.
      >>
      >> Thanks so much for any ideas or websites.
      >>
      >> Amy Moreno
      >> www.amycullingsmoreno.com

    • Cheryl Hancock
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 23, 2010
        Helen where are teaching??? What ages ?
        Are you in Australia?
        I am based in Perth WA and  have some good ideas.
        Check out Deep Space Sparkle Blog site lots of great ideas easily achieved in a couple of hours or even one lesson.
        Cheers Cheryl H
        Beeliar Primary School
        Perth Australia

        --
        Cheryl Hancock
        Cooper, Dior and Charisma
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 23, 2010
          Hi Cheryl,

          I'm teaching in the UK and with ages 3 to 11 years - most of the
          children will have carers with them due to disabilities. I have 2/3
          days and the children seem to enjoy art so much that they often race
          through work. I did a project a couple of years ago with the same group.

          Will have a look at the websites!

          Many thanks,

          Helen.

        • MARYANN KOHL
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 23, 2010
            One of the projects that is a good one for disabilities (depending on physical issues)
            is to bring in some 1" thick chunks of styrofoam, and artists can push
            things into the styrofoam to make a sculpture - then add other little
            collage items to finish it off (like buttons, paper scraps, yarn bits, etc. If you
            don't have individual chunks of styrofoam, find one big packing block and
            everyone can work together as a group sculpture.

            Also, I often buy a huge sheet of insulation foam about 1" thick or more,
            score it with a knife, and snap it into as many squares as I can fit:

            golf teas
            pipe cleaners
            chopsticks
            bamboo skewers
            toothpicks
            thick craft wire
            nails, screws
            "whatever" suits your group's abilities

            Decorate with
            string
            yarn
            paper scraps
            buttons
            cotton balls
            sewing trim
            crinkled or shredded paper
            etc etc
            "whatever" suits your group's abilities

            25th Anniversary 1985 – 2010
            Celebrating 25 Years of Bringing Art to Children
            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
            MaryAnn Kohl – author of art books for teachers and children
            PO Box 31338 • Bellingham, WA  98228
            360 592 9201  office • 800 480 4278 •  360 592 4503  fax
            . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

            reens@... wrote:
            >> What about blind contour drawing? I think contour is a great way to show
            >>
            > that you really can draw. You could have them first draw their shoe
            > with out looking at it. (This will help illustrate the importance of
            > looking at what you're drawing if you first don't allow them to look at
            > all.) Then explain blind contour and the importance of really looking at
            > what you are drawing and not relying on what you THINK it looks like,
            > they need to draw every line and every detail no matter how small. Then
            > compare this drawing to their 1st. Usually there is great improvement
            > and students are amazed at what they were able to do. You can move to
            > semi blind contour, have them draw their hands and if time is left
            > classmates can take turns modeling and the class will draw them, they
            > could use thin color markers, use a large sheet of paper and do several
            > of the figure drawings on the one sheet, changing colors with each model
            > change. Check out the site of Marvin Bartel
            > http://bartelart.com/arted/blindcontour.html. Upside down drawing is
            > also a good confidence booster.
            > Reen Shannon
            >
            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> Does anyone know of a place online that may give ideas for fairly easy
            >> 'art lessons' for grown-ups that could be done in an hour or so? I know
            >> that I could work on basic drawing, but am trying to think of more ideas
            >> that would help grown-ups who are insecure about their ability or
            >> blocked..to get moving and create something in an hour or two and begin to
            >> gain confidence.
            >>
            >> This sounds like a stupid question, but maybe someone has some pointers or
            >> websites that deal with this.
            >>
            >> Thanks so much for any ideas or websites.
            >>
            >> Amy Moreno
            >> www.amycullingsmoreno.com

          • Helen Bolger
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 24, 2010
              Hi all,

              Many thanks for all the great ideas and web sites! Will let you know
              how it goes.

              Helen - UK