Re: [art_education] Youth Art Month activities

  • stephwjo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 25 5:47 PM
      THis year I took a workshop where we painted canvas shoes to represent an artist or a particular artwork... SO.. .I'm going to make a pair of them for my principal to wear for the month of March.. at least on casual Fridays!!

      Hee hEE, they are really funny and I can't wait to see him in them with a suit on!!

      Stephanie Slatner
    • Mcarsart@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Mar 11, 2004
        To anyone that's interested! I have my kids (high school) reflect on why art is important in their lives - what difference will having taken an art class make to them in 10 years. They brainstorm, and come up with some great things, such as working in groups, taking criticism, planning, learning to modify original plans, time management, along with the typical art things, such as personal expression, creativity. Then we learn who the key players are in schools (board of ed, local and state, legislators, superintendents, etc. We go on line to find names and addresses, and each student writes a letter to a key player, expressing their views about art and education. It's been a great learning experience, and we are making an impact in our world! If you're interested, I'm doing a presentation on this at NAEA - Saturday afternoon at 3!
        Marcia Carson
      • Kelli Wilke
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 16 3:52 PM
          Hi everyone,
          I was brainstorming with my Art Club about how to advocate Youth Art Month at our school and we came up with some great ideas.  That's not my problem.  My question is that some of the ideas we came up with would require small prizes for kids (many kids, probably around 40-50 or so).  But I don't know what to give as prizes.  I thought about looking through Oriental Trading stuff, but those things seem to be very elementary and I teach middle school.  I also thought about handing out art supplies, but I don't have enough to be giving away.  The typical things like pencils, erasers, etc. could work if I can't think of anything else but I thought I would check with all of you.  I would like to gear it towards middle school kids.  I don't want them thinking I am treating them like little kids.
          I would appreciate any ideas.
          Thanks,
          Kelli in NE

          8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time
        • Terri Noell
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 16 6:51 PM
            certificates are always great and inexpensive! Also around here the kids
            love Mardi Gras beads....

            >From: Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...>
            >To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [art_education] Youth Art Month activities
            >Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 15:52:15 -0800 (PST)
            >
            >Hi everyone,
            > I was brainstorming with my Art Club about how to advocate Youth Art
            >Month at our school and we came up with some great ideas. That's not my
            >problem. My question is that some of the ideas we came up with would
            >require small prizes for kids (many kids, probably around 40-50 or so).
            >But I don't know what to give as prizes. I thought about looking through
            >Oriental Trading stuff, but those things seem to be very elementary and I
            >teach middle school. I also thought about handing out art supplies, but I
            >don't have enough to be giving away. The typical things like pencils,
            >erasers, etc. could work if I can't think of anything else but I thought I
            >would check with all of you. I would like to gear it towards middle school
            >kids. I don't want them thinking I am treating them like little kids.
            > I would appreciate any ideas.
            > Thanks,
            > Kelli in NE

            >8:00? 8:25? 8:40? Find a flick in no time

            Find a local pizza place, movie theater, and more´┐Ż.then map the best route!