Re: [art_education] Re: art and non-readers

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 12, 2010
      I had a little boy who couldn't write anything legible, even in second grade... Jim B. .... just scratches that didn't make sense to anyone. He simply couldn't form the letters on paper. So I gave him a bucket of clay, and suggested he roll little snakes to form into letters, and then proceeded to form legible letters that formed legible words and then he wrote an entire legible sentence across the countertop. It was a huge breakthrough. He's 40 now, and his mom told me he just completed a series of private lessons with a tutor to help with with his writing and reading, and that he is finally there -- he feels he is okay now! He's so proud...and he remembered the day he "wrote" his first sentence that other people could read. What a long struggle for him....but hopefully when we never give upon them, they find their way. I think as a teacher these are the moments that make it worthwhile.

      On Jun 12, 2010, at 8:03 AM, ednakate wrote:

      I have enjoyed all the comments about reading and art and it reminded me of a little kinder who could not write his name at the beginning of the year. He and I had long discussions about shapes and how shapes are in letters. He totally got that and it was so fun to see the light bulb go on when he discovered that the "B" in his name was just 2 circles and a line.
      Thanks,
      Alyssa

    • Kathleen Maledon
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 13, 2010
        mary ann, good for you.  how about doing comic strips?  more of a whole language approach - super hero (character), and plot.  I think there would be a lot of brainstorming with repeated words,
        sound effects with simple words, etc.  come supplied with a comic book, white tablet/marker, and individual strip dittos.  good luck  k
        On Jun 8, 2010, at 4:54 PM, MARYANN KOHL wrote:

        Dear All Fine Teachers of Art:

        I was talking my once a month retired teachers group at lunch yesterday... (I'm the only one NOT retired). One gal was telling me about the current third grade at my favorite elementary school, this - as she says - "horrible class", and that they have 7 non-readers, all boys... boys who do NOT read anything except a few words by sight. The boys all seven are moving on to fourth grade.

        I don't know where the thunderbolt came from, but it struck, and I decided then and there to volunteer next year to take these boys at least once a week and teach them to read. Big goal -- realistic? I don't know! Apparently they are unruly and rude with little respect for anyone and a true handful. (Goes along with being a non-readers in grade 3, I suspect.)

        I have lots of ideas for teaching reading and success with little kids of course. But this is different. These kids may be resistant and yet fragile and angry. I'd like to use art as a springboard because I think it would surprise them that our first reading session would be art. I know art would be a good motivator in general.

        My question: Does anyone have experience with this area? teaching kids to read from their art, especially older kids? I know I'm jumping into new waters...
        (And no, Judy, I'm not writing a book so you don't have to wonder about that...though I probably could AFTER I have all seven of them reading. Maybe I'll just blog about it. )

        I'm very curious about any experiences you might have had that will help me approach the teaching of reading to seven non-reading boys  --- and bring them to a comfortable level of success. I'm sure I'll have to take them back to the basics, the beginning.

        MaryAnn
        MaryAnn F. Kohl
        art author/educator/ consultant

      • MARYANN KOHL

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 13, 2010
            http://donnayoung.org/art/comics.htm  some comic book page templates

          • aliteachesart
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 15, 2010
              Comic Life is a great app. for that! I use it in my classroom. It has lots of page spreads, speech and thought bubbles, etc. You just click and drag. You can use your own photos, drawings or clip art. Here is the link: http://plasq.com/

              The magiq life looks even cooler! ALi k-4