Re: [art_education] Memorial Project

  • Denise Pannell
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 6, 2010
      I just have to say, having lost my own son 4 years ago, that this project is going to mean so much to her parents! If possible, you may want to include them in some way; perhaps asking them for ideas about what her favorite colors were or things that she liked.

      A bereaved parent's worst fear is that their child will be forgotten. By doing this project, you will be creating a lasting memorial and the parents will be eternally grateful.

      Denise Pannell
      http://mrspicassosartroom.blogspot.com/
    • ednakate
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 7, 2010
        Thanks everyone!
        We have included her family at every turn both with the garden and with the tile project that will be on the walls of our school-the family has a special tile as a part of that installation.

        Today is their 5th grade promotion. The children are honoring KaSandra by wearing purple leis-KaSandra's favorite color. They will have an empty chair for her with her photo. It is truly bittersweet- Today would have been her 11th birthday.

        Again thanks for all the helpful words about this project. We will be doing the garden walk tiles tomorrow with the 5th grade. Wish us luck!
        Alyssa
      • artsypffartsy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 8, 2010
          Oh, I do wish you luck. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. So happy you figured out how to do something meaningful for all. I have dealt with a situation like this before in my own school, and it meant so much to the family and kid friends of the student that we honored him.
          Blessings,
          Linda