Re: Teacher Facebook? Appropriate

  • MaryJo
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
      I keep it a policy to NEVER friend current students on Facebook ... and they don't mind at all. They think of it as some sort of "rite of passage" to become my facebook friend after graduation. One girl told me the other day she was going to friend me from the line at graduation on Friday from her friend's blackberry :)
      I like it to keep in touch with former students and I would never post anything on there I wouldn't want them to see anyway...It's the internet - even on a private Facebook where you don't friend students, it is not a good idea to post anything you wouldn't want seen. I am also a supervisor and have read articles about people not being hired due to the content of their online profiles. As a teacher, I think we have to be careful.

      MaryJo
      New Jersey
    • MARYANN KOHL
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
        Seems like you could have a student/teacher page.

        On Jun 5, 2010, at 10:07 AM, Elizabeth Adams Marks wrote:

        The teachers and staff at our middle school have been told not to ever communicate on FB or any other social network with our students for a variety of legal reasons.

        Elizabeth Adams-Marks
        Art Education St. Louis, MO
        Handmade Paper from Plants
        Book Arts - Illustration

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
          I teach jr. hi. and have told students that have asked to befriend me that once they graduate send me a friend message and I'd be glad to be their friend. I am sure by the time they graduate many won't care. FB has been great to reconnect w/past students. I've been able to go to several of their art shows and have found a number that are teaching art or working in the art field. One has a book out (Black Out Poems)