Re: [art_education] Teacher Facebook? Appropriate

  • Elizabeth Adams Marks
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
      The teachers and staff at our middle school have been told not to ever communicate on FB or any other social network with our students for a variety of legal reasons.

      Elizabeth Adams-Marks
      Art Education St. Louis, MO
      Handmade Paper from Plants
      Book Arts - Illustration

      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
        I would have a separate account for students. You can learn a lot about your students from their Facebook accounts. When I was an administrator, I found out about problems before they happened by having students as friends on a separate account. For example, one student had posted on their wall that there was going to be a fight at a certain time and location in the school the following day. I was able to intervene and stop it before it happened. I was also able to intervene when a student said they were going to kill themselves on their MySpace page. I called them in immediately and did an intervention with the counselor.

        If you have them as friends on your personal account, you can turn off their wall posts on your profile page so others can't read what they post. That is a must as some like to post very inappropriate remarks on their walls.

        Ken

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <jenrosesegrest@...> wrote:

        > I have a question, now that its summer, I have numerous student friend request piling up on facebook account, I do not plan on accepting any of them but I was wondering if maybe I should create a teacher facebook account, all private with the exception of my students, have any of you done something like this?
        > Thanks in advance for your time,
        > Jen in Texas

      • MaryJo
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
          I keep it a policy to NEVER friend current students on Facebook ... and they don't mind at all. They think of it as some sort of "rite of passage" to become my facebook friend after graduation. One girl told me the other day she was going to friend me from the line at graduation on Friday from her friend's blackberry :)
          I like it to keep in touch with former students and I would never post anything on there I wouldn't want them to see anyway...It's the internet - even on a private Facebook where you don't friend students, it is not a good idea to post anything you wouldn't want seen. I am also a supervisor and have read articles about people not being hired due to the content of their online profiles. As a teacher, I think we have to be careful.

          MaryJo
          New Jersey
        • MARYANN KOHL

            I have a question, now that its summer, I have numerous student friend request piling up on facebook account, I do not plan on accepting any of them but I was wondering if maybe I should create a teacher facebook account, all private with the exception of my students, have any of you done something like this?
            Thanks in advance for your time,
            Jen in Texas

          • Byrd1956
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
              I teach jr. hi. and have told students that have asked to befriend me that once they graduate send me a friend message and I'd be glad to be their friend. I am sure by the time they graduate many won't care. FB has been great to reconnect w/past students. I've been able to go to several of their art shows and have found a number that are teaching art or working in the art field. One has a book out (Black Out Poems)