Re: [art_education] Teacher Facebook: IDEA

  • Steven Graham
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 4, 2010
      At our school this year we told we should not have any students or parents of students as facebook friends.  They even told us we probably should not have a facebook at all.  This was a strong suggestion but when the teachers pressed the issue they said they could not legally make us do this.  You do see cases where teachers have been fired over things on their accounts.  One teacher was fired for a picture taken in front of a brewery (no beer was even shown), another because she was holding a hunting rifle in a picture.  Sometimes this can happen even because something one of your friends posts to you.  I took down a video my sister put on my wall as it had one off color word.  I told her why I had taken it down and how careful I have to be with such things.

      I and most other teachers at my school have ignored the warnings and decided we have lives outside of school.  I have know some of my students parents longer than I have been teaching and I am not going to stop taking to them outside of school.  I also use facebook to advertise for my other business such as selling my own art and to announce my summer art classes.  I want students to see me as a working artist who values the world of art.  I do suggest to be careful with what you post.

      Also, it is funny that when we go to technology conferences we are told by presenters how good it is to use facebook to connect with students.  I went to several meeting about the benefits of things like facebook.  Our school district seems scared to death of such things, but I think some of the administration is just scared and does not understand the benefits.  I do my part to make them see how it can be used in a positive way.  We need to teach our students about how to stay safe and use social networking sites.  It is a new way of relating and some people are scared of it (my principal).  Kids need to be taught that what they post can be seen by others (no matter what) and their online activity will reflect them.  Their is no use hiding from this as my principal wants to do.  She is so scared that someone will say something about her or post a pic of her (well too late for that).  It is better for teachers and students to know how to use social networking and then you can keep yourself more safe than if you try to hide from it.

      Steven Graham
      Bartlesville OK

      On Jun 4, 2010, at 3:04 PM, Jennifer Rose wrote:

      Thanks for all the input!~Jen

      Thank You,
      Jennifer Rose-Segrest

      From: jenrosesegrest@ yahoo.com
      Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 19:09:53 +0000
      Subject: [art_education] Teacher Facebook? Appropriate

      I have a question, now that its summer, I have numerous student friend request piling up on facebook account, I do not plan on accepting any of them but I was wondering if maybe I should create a teacher facebook account, all private with the exception of my students, have any of you done something like this?
      Thanks in advance for your time,
      Jen in Texas

    • theresafmcgee
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
        I don't have student requests to be friends on Facebook (I teach elementary), but I do know that parents have at least looked me up (I have all my privacy settings marked so they can't see anything but basic info).
        However, I Do use Facebook for an art department fan page that has been a great advocacy tool! The parents really love the idea of finding out art related community events and things going on in the art room. Parents that don't have a Facebook account, they can just bookmark the link and visit it to see if anything new has posted. I have 99% positive feedback - the one exception is a parent who thought I was trying to get her 1st grader on Facebook (she is fine now that I clarified the intent). If you try this for your own school, be sure to explain that it is for PARENTS (if you teach elementary) and that no student photos will be posted (parents appreciate this). Here's my art departement Facebook page if you're interested to see how I have set it up: http://www.facebook.com/MonroeArt

        Theresa

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <jenrosesegrest@...> wrote:

        > I have a question, now that its summer, I have numerous student friend request piling up on facebook account, I do not plan on accepting any of them but I was wondering if maybe I should create a teacher facebook account, all private with the exception of my students, have any of you done something like this?
        > Thanks in advance for your time,
        > Jen in Texas

      • Elizabeth Adams Marks
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
          The teachers and staff at our middle school have been told not to ever communicate on FB or any other social network with our students for a variety of legal reasons.

          Elizabeth Adams-Marks
          Art Education St. Louis, MO
          Handmade Paper from Plants
          Book Arts - Illustration

          I have a question, now that its summer, I have numerous student friend request piling up on facebook account, I do not plan on accepting any of them but I was wondering if maybe I should create a teacher facebook account, all private with the exception of my students, have any of you done something like this?
          Thanks in advance for your time,
          Jen in Texas

        • Ken
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2010
            I would have a separate account for students. You can learn a lot about your students from their Facebook accounts. When I was an administrator, I found out about problems before they happened by having students as friends on a separate account. For example, one student had posted on their wall that there was going to be a fight at a certain time and location in the school the following day. I was able to intervene and stop it before it happened. I was also able to intervene when a student said they were going to kill themselves on their MySpace page. I called them in immediately and did an intervention with the counselor.

            If you have them as friends on your personal account, you can turn off their wall posts on your profile page so others can't read what they post. That is a must as some like to post very inappropriate remarks on their walls.

            Ken

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Jen" <jenrosesegrest@...> wrote:

            > I have a question, now that its summer, I have numerous student friend request piling up on facebook account, I do not plan on accepting any of them but I was wondering if maybe I should create a teacher facebook account, all private with the exception of my students, have any of you done something like this?
            > Thanks in advance for your time,
            > Jen in Texas

          • MaryJo
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
              I keep it a policy to NEVER friend current students on Facebook ... and they don't mind at all. They think of it as some sort of "rite of passage" to become my facebook friend after graduation. One girl told me the other day she was going to friend me from the line at graduation on Friday from her friend's blackberry :)
              I like it to keep in touch with former students and I would never post anything on there I wouldn't want them to see anyway...It's the internet - even on a private Facebook where you don't friend students, it is not a good idea to post anything you wouldn't want seen. I am also a supervisor and have read articles about people not being hired due to the content of their online profiles. As a teacher, I think we have to be careful.

              MaryJo
              New Jersey
            • MARYANN KOHL

                I have a question, now that its summer, I have numerous student friend request piling up on facebook account, I do not plan on accepting any of them but I was wondering if maybe I should create a teacher facebook account, all private with the exception of my students, have any of you done something like this?
                Thanks in advance for your time,
                Jen in Texas

              • Byrd1956
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 6, 2010
                  I teach jr. hi. and have told students that have asked to befriend me that once they graduate send me a friend message and I'd be glad to be their friend. I am sure by the time they graduate many won't care. FB has been great to reconnect w/past students. I've been able to go to several of their art shows and have found a number that are teaching art or working in the art field. One has a book out (Black Out Poems)