Memorial Project

  • ednakate
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 3, 2010
      Hello Everyone-
      I have been asked to help coordinate a plaque, tile, something for a memorial garden that is being installed at my daughter's school for a 5th grader who lost her battle with brain cancer.
      Has anyone done this? They want to be certain that the 5th graders are included. My thought was to allow the 5th graders to put fingerprints (ie Emberly) on few large tiles with glass paint. We have 2 days left of school with only one very short morning of that being allotted to the project.
      The principal already has dropped the ball on this project more times than we can count. It has been in the works since March and was long ago paid for. She said today-I just know you'll come up with something after the mosaic that they did for the auction.
      Any better/easier ideas?
      Thanks,
      Alyssa
      San Diego
    • artsypffartsy
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 4, 2010
        Sorry this has fallen on you with such short notice and so little time, as it is so worthy a project. Your glass painting idea sounds good. Flowers on glass would be nice, with something appropriate written in the middle. (You would write it, I guess). Are there things this girl loved that could be added with pictures drawn by the kids? Her name could be at the top, in some pretty script, perhaps, in a favorite color of hers. I would like to see it personalized somehow for her, but with child drawings of certain things, black outline? Allow each child who works on it a certain amount of space in the border, perhaps. do sketeches and put them under the glass to help the kids keep to the right size. Hope you come up with something you like soon. Bless her heart.
        Linda

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ednakate" <h8n2w8@...> wrote:

        > Hello Everyone-
        > I have been asked to help coordinate a plaque, tile, something for a memorial garden that is being installed at my daughter's school for a 5th grader who lost her battle with brain cancer.
        > Has anyone done this? They want to be certain that the 5th graders are included. My thought was to allow the 5th graders to put fingerprints (ie Emberly) on few large tiles with glass paint. We have 2 days left of school with only one very short morning of that being allotted to the project.
        > The principal already has dropped the ball on this project more times than we can count. It has been in the works since March and was long ago paid for. She said today-I just know you'll come up with something after the mosaic that they did for the auction.
        > Any better/easier ideas?
        > Thanks,
        > Alyssa
        > San Diego

      • Denise Pannell
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 6, 2010
          I just have to say, having lost my own son 4 years ago, that this project is going to mean so much to her parents! If possible, you may want to include them in some way; perhaps asking them for ideas about what her favorite colors were or things that she liked.

          A bereaved parent's worst fear is that their child will be forgotten. By doing this project, you will be creating a lasting memorial and the parents will be eternally grateful.

          Denise Pannell
          http://mrspicassosartroom.blogspot.com/
        • ednakate
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 7, 2010
            Thanks everyone!
            We have included her family at every turn both with the garden and with the tile project that will be on the walls of our school-the family has a special tile as a part of that installation.

            Today is their 5th grade promotion. The children are honoring KaSandra by wearing purple leis-KaSandra's favorite color. They will have an empty chair for her with her photo. It is truly bittersweet- Today would have been her 11th birthday.

            Again thanks for all the helpful words about this project. We will be doing the garden walk tiles tomorrow with the 5th grade. Wish us luck!
            Alyssa
          • artsypffartsy
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 8, 2010
              Oh, I do wish you luck. I'm sure it will turn out beautifully. So happy you figured out how to do something meaningful for all. I have dealt with a situation like this before in my own school, and it meant so much to the family and kid friends of the student that we honored him.
              Blessings,