SMART BOARDS in the art classroom

  • Liz Egan
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 30, 2010

      I have had a SMART Board all year and was lucky enough to be able to go to a two-day workshop last August which was a real help.  I am now pretty proficient and plan to become a certified trainer.  I was able to do a workshop at our school's PD day recently.

      The new SMARTBoards come with SMART Notebook software.  If you are only still importing Powerpoints, then you are not realizing the real POWER of this tool.  SMART Notebook software is the best ( and most intuitive) software I have ever used - better than Powerpoint, Pagemaker, and many of my other favorites.

      Like you, I used one-point perspective as my jumping off place.  I imported artwork -- like Hopper's Gas, and then had the kids come up, using the magic pen tools, and draw the horizon, find the vanishing point, and draw the orthogonal lines.  Someone else need a turn? -- hit back arrow, hand the next student a pen tool!  it made a connection is a way I have never seen because the kids were interacting with the subject.

      That is one small example.  In my lesson on coil pottery with 6th graders I generally have them start by making a symmetrical planning drawing and developing meanders that are later used with sgraffito on the actual pot.  Aside from just being able to show the kids examples of Greek pottery, project my handout about Greek pottery forms, and show examples of student work, I was able to create the step by step directions quickly and easily having a visual reference for the process of their drawings.

      Another amazing feature of the SMART Notebook software is the Lesson Activity Toolkit.  Through it I have been able to create interactive games that are both challenging and fun.  I use them to preview and review vocabulary and concepts.  My seven Elements of Art game that I do on the first day of class has the whole class jumping!  I can't believe how excited they get.

      There is not a day that passes that I don't use it, even in the most simplest way like using it to post the routine and procedures for the day.  Having it in daily use is not only the best way to learn it, but I am also able to track my lessons and make continual modifications from quarter to quarter. I also have several "How To" and Art History Powerpoints, which I am able to link in to the SMART Notebook pages.

      One tip though -- keep naming your pages and keep your files organized!  I have my organized by grade folders  and unit files with the same titles as the written curriculum.  At the end of this year, I really feel that I am able to build on the work I have done and that my teaching will be better as a result.  I did a lesson today on the Art critique process (Describe Analalyze, Interpret, Judge) with my 8th graders today as a preview to a unit on Dale Chihuly.  I have done this art critique lesson many times, but today, with the students coming up and writing on the SMART Board, they were engaged.  It really is amazing.

      There are lots of workshops out there.  Take one this summer offered by SMART Technologies.  You will get the software and the manuals at the workshop.  Hope that helps.

      Sincerely,

      Liz Egan, Art Teacher

      Westbrook Middle School

      Westbrook, CT