Smart Boards in the Art Room

  • Byrd1956
    Message 1 of 13 , Apr 26, 2010
      After 17 years of writing daily art history notes on the chalk board I've gone from a white board to a SmartBoard in my art room. So far I have used it for my 7th. and 8th. graders daily notes, for showing the art images along with images of where the art is located and YouTubes of places like Lascaux, Stonehenge, Sistine Chapel, etc. We have also watched examples of blind & partial peek contour line drawings. I want to use it interactively and have the students come to the board to do things. I know the Language Arts and Social Studies classes uses theirs lots and I don't want the tech. people saying I really only need a screen and take it away. I am hoping everyone will share ideas, lessons, anything that can be used in the art classroom with the SmartBoard. Thank you!!
    • Cheryl Hancock
      Message 2 of 13 , Apr 27, 2010
        Thanks for sharing your first experience of the smart board. I am basing my performance management on learning how to apply the smart board to my art lessons. It would be great if the links were put somewhere for us art teachers to share. I recently found a link to Live Binders which I believe Craig Rowlands mentioned somewhere either in a school arts magazine or on the web. The beauty of Livebinders is that you can create folder of your favourite websites,  You Tube videos etc for yourself or for the public to view.  For example I have started one on Prehistoric cave painting and Matisse. As yet I have not made them public.  I have just made searches for websites etc , games suitable for the art room - primary/ elementary age appropriate. Here is the web link to Live binders.
         I have some interactive websites I know most people know about which I can share- PLease let me know what grade level you are teaching.
        Cheryl Hancock
        Perth Western Australia

        --
        Cheryl Hancock
        Cooper, Dior and Charisma
        Message 3 of 13 , Apr 27, 2010
           Smart Boards in Art      Also check this blog out it will provide more smartboard info.

          Cheryl H
          Perth Australia

[...]

        • TriciaF
          Message 4 of 13 , Apr 27, 2010
            My interactive whiteboard has transformed the way I teach.
            I don't have a bunch of resources online yet, but I did make this page on Theresa McGee's and my e-learning site:
            http://web.me.com/fuglefun/E-Learning/IWB.html

            I also started a wiki for my IWB presentation at NAEA:
            http://artisinteractive.wikispaces.com/

            I think IWB's are perfect for art teachers who want to help students see, explore, experiment, demonstrate, as well as digitally create. There is so much digital hands on they can do to complement their actual hands on work.

            Hope this helps!
            Tricia Fuglestad, IL
          • reens@semol.com
            Message 5 of 13 , Apr 27, 2010
              Does anyone have grant sources to obtain Smart boards for schools that
              they can share?
              Reen S.
              Michigan

              > Smart Boards in Art Also check this blog out it will provide more
              > smartboard info.
              > http://arted20.ning.com/
              >
              > <http://arted20.ning.com/>Cheryl H
              > Perth Australia
              >
              > On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 11:08 AM, Byrd1956 <rhelsel@...>
              > wrote:
              >

              >> After 17 years of writing daily art history notes on the chalk board
              >> I've
              >> gone from a white board to a SmartBoard in my art room. So far I have
              >> used
              >> it for my 7th. and 8th. graders daily notes, for showing the art images
              >> along with images of where the art is located and YouTubes of places
              >> like
              >> Lascaux, Stonehenge, Sistine Chapel, etc. We have also watched examples
              >> of
              >> blind & partial peek contour line drawings. I want to use it
              >> interactively
              >> and have the students come to the board to do things. I know the
              >> Language
              >> Arts and Social Studies classes uses theirs lots and I don't want the
              >> tech.
              >> people saying I really only need a screen and take it away. I am hoping
              >> everyone will share ideas, lessons, anything that can be used in the art
              >> classroom with the SmartBoard. Thank you!!
              >>

              > --
              > Cheryl Hancock
              > Cooper, Dior and Charisma
              > Perth Australia

            • Cheryl Hancock
              Message 6 of 13 , Apr 27, 2010
                If you are looking for a fun andy warhol interactive
                When a student has made their artwork right click and use the print function to print out for each student. I then cut up all of the Marilyns and mount them on black card- they look awesome.
                This has been around a long time but it is a very good interactive.
                Cheryl Hancock

[...]

              • pent19
                Message 7 of 13 , Apr 28, 2010
                  use the notepad software to do a perspective lessons, you can also record what you draw and make video that can loop during student work time.
                  Michele

                  --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

                  > After 17 years of writing daily art history notes on the chalk board I've gone from a white board to a SmartBoard in my art room. So far I have used it for my 7th. and 8th. graders daily notes, for showing the art images along with images of where the art is located and YouTubes of places like Lascaux, Stonehenge, Sistine Chapel, etc. We have also watched examples of blind & partial peek contour line drawings. I want to use it interactively and have the students come to the board to do things. I know the Language Arts and Social Studies classes uses theirs lots and I don't want the tech. people saying I really only need a screen and take it away. I am hoping everyone will share ideas, lessons, anything that can be used in the art classroom with the SmartBoard. Thank you!!

                • icreatemore
                  Message 8 of 13 , Apr 29, 2010
                    I just got a Promethean board and love it. check out
                    http://www.prometheanworld.com/

                    Right now I import a lot of power-points that are readily available on a variety of subjects.

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "pent19" <pent19@...> wrote:

                    > use the notepad software to do a perspective lessons, you can also record what you draw and make video that can loop during student work time.
                    > Michele
                    >
                    > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > After 17 years of writing daily art history notes on the chalk board I've gone from a white board to a SmartBoard in my art room. So far I have used it for my 7th. and 8th. graders daily notes, for showing the art images along with images of where the art is located and YouTubes of places like Lascaux, Stonehenge, Sistine Chapel, etc. We have also watched examples of blind & partial peek contour line drawings. I want to use it interactively and have the students come to the board to do things. I know the Language Arts and Social Studies classes uses theirs lots and I don't want the tech. people saying I really only need a screen and take it away. I am hoping everyone will share ideas, lessons, anything that can be used in the art classroom with the SmartBoard. Thank you!!

                  • MARYANN KOHL
                    Message 9 of 13 , Apr 29, 2010
                      Have you found the website "www.brainpop.com?
                      Your school may have to have a password to access it, I'm not sure.
                      They have all kinds of short videos on the lives of famous artists,
                      and much much more.
                      It's perfect for smart boards....

                      aryAnn F.
                       Kohl
                      author, presenter & educational consultant

                    • kermit_al
                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                        this was just posted on the SmartBoard Revolution ning.

                        12 Art Resources for your Interactive Whiteboard

                        http://www.whiteboardblog.co.uk/2010/03/120-art-resources-for-your-iwb/

                        Jessica
                      • barb
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 30, 2010
                          Jessica, thanks so much for this great resource. Really interactive, fun activities.
                          Barbara Y.

                          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "kermit_al" <kermit_al@...> wrote:

                          > this was just posted on the SmartBoard Revolution ning.
                          >
                          > 12 Art Resources for your Interactive Whiteboard
                          >
                          > http://www.whiteboardblog.co.uk/2010/03/120-art-resources-for-your-iwb/
                          >
                          > Jessica

                        • Jill Sayers
                          Message 12 of 13 , May 3, 2010

                            I’ve done a lesson on contour line drawings.  I would import a picture and then ask students to draw the contour line.

                            Thank You,

                            Jill Sayers

                            Art Teacher

                          • artsypffartsy
                            Message 13 of 13 , May 4, 2010
                              I have used the smartboard at the same time my 5th graders were making geometric mandalas, on paper, using compass, see through rulers, and protractors to draw their radial designs. As they were doing their own mandalas on paper, students took turns coming to the interactive board to use ActiveStudio software's compass, straight line tool,and various other tools to construct a class mandala. Everyone added something to the class mandala using the board's software. Well, I have to admit, though it was fun to do that, the ones on paper were my favorite. But it was neat to see the group mandala taking shape as they constructed their own mandalas.