Re: [art_education] children's books/Steve Jenkins (Storybook Art idea)

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 24, 2010
      I am honored to read your compliments. THANK YOU!!!!
      My website has a great click-to area for great masters and great American artists where you can click on their names and go directly to one of their paintings or artworks. That is pretty helpful!

      Tell me more about the companion book to artists' lives that you are picturing... Maybe I can do something with the idea!

      MaryAnn Kohl

      On Apr 24, 2010, at 6:01 PM, Kathleen Maledon wrote:

      maryann, I volunteer for the phx public library friends' group which takes discarded and donated books from the library and others

      to resell.  the money goes toward children's projects at the library.  I'm in charge of the children's section and have seen your books.
      you've done such a nice job.  I buy them and put them in our district's masterpiece program.  I hope you know that your pages on the artists
      are considered pretty much the bible in the artists' packet.  just wanted to let you know that you are valued as a writer.  thank you for putting
      your skills toward the children.  do you have a companion book to the artists' lives coming out?  I've seen a lot of good art come to the
      fore front .  in admiration, kathy maledon
      On Apr 22, 2010, at 9:52 AM, MARYANN KOHL wrote:

      Steve Jenkins wrote a great "birds eye view" book called Looking Down which shows a progression of views from outer space, from very far away to closer and closer and closer until it shows a detail of the child at home.

      He has a Caldecott book called VULTURE VIEW which is also wonderful and would be perfect for your study using pidgeons.
      On a similar topic, ACTUAL SIZE by Steve Jenkins shows things as their true size. Like a gorilla's hand, a worm, and so on.
      He works in collage especially with paper. Some is reminiscent of Eric Carle's hand painted paper cut into collage.

      You can find more info on this topic in my book Storybook Art, on page 71, which gives an art project to go with the book called "View of My Planet", using collage to create an imaginary planet seen from far away. Storybook Art has art projects to go with 100 children's book illustrators.

      MaryAnn Kohl

      On Apr 22, 2010, at 6:27 AM, Jenifer Weiss wrote:

      I think there is a Molly Bang book, but I can't remember the name of it.  Also there are mapping books for kids such as Maps and Mapping by Barbara Taylor that has a bird's eye view page...amother great book is Rome Antics by David Macaulay.  That is from the perspective of a pigeon flying around Rome.

      hope this helps

      Jenifer Weiss

      To: art_education@ yahoogroups. com; TAB-ChoiceArtEd@ yahoogroups. com
      From: hillmjan@berkeleypr ep.org
      Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2010 07:43:37 -0400
      Subject: [art_education] children's books

      Hi,

      Might anyone have suggestions for children’s picture books showing examples of bird’s-eye-view?

      I’ve done some looking here at my school.  Sadly, ‘Tar Beach’ by Faith Ringgold does not  show any; in fact the only bird’s eye view I’ve seen so far is in ‘Abuela’ by Arthur Dorros.  Does anyone have suggestions?

      Thanks,

      Jan in Tampa

      Gr 1-5

      Hotmail is redefining busy with tools for the New Busy. Get more from your inbox. See how.