Re: [art_education] Our group is open to the public - members are not posting Spam

  • Cheryl Hancock
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 17, 2010
      Hi, Judy and others , I belong to a large Bernese Mountain Dog group on Yahoo. We are asked at all times to trim our emails removing the previous details of another members post except for the subject line. This not only removes unwanted or repeated info but it sure seems to reduce spamming.
      Cheers
      Cheryl H
      Perth Australia

      On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 10:19 PM, Judy Decker <jdecker4art@...> wrote:

      Greetings Art Education Members,

      Just to clarify. Individual members (in general) are not posting Spam.
      This is a problem on all Yahoo Groups - especially those open to the
      public as ours is. Spammers do not use their own email address. They
      Spoof a member email address for the group - guessing correctly the
      end of the email address. They generally try several endings until the
      email goes through the group. I know this is true - as I researched
      it.

      I have asked Ken to temporarily turn the Spam folder feature ON. This
      will filter the unwanted emails. Ken will have to check the folder
      periodically to see if wanted posts are in the folder.

      There is nothing members can do to stop this practice. I actually had
      to quit using one of my original Gmail account (although I haven't
      closed it yet). I could no longer tolerate all of the disgusting stuff
      I was getting from my own address -- all spoofed.

      You may have noticed that when posting info to all groups - I add a
      note asking Getty members to be more considerate and remove email
      addresses before they click "send" (my old Gmail address was in Getty
      archives around 400 times). That hasn't helped much. I just quit
      posting so much and reply off list to members.

      Just wanted all of you to know, for the most part, that Art Education
      members are not posting Spam. Accusing them of sending it - and
      removing them from the list may not be a good thing for our community.
      I guess time will tell. This new wave of Spam is similar to the Virus
      wave of the past. I know my account was spoofed to send a virus to the
      list a while back. It didn't sit too well with me when members posted
      that I was sending virus emails (One Getty post was "Judy Decker has a
      Virus - don't open email". I removed that post from ArtsEducators'
      list - but have no control over Getty list)). That email account was
      closed.

      Cheryl Hancock
      Cooper, Dior and Charisma
      Perth Australia