Re: Animation update

  • icreatemore
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2010
      I didn't know what plasticine clay was so researched it and ran across this artist and techniques. I loved it and thought that you might too.
      CA

      http://www.barbarareid.ca/home.html

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "artsypffartsy" <lindwood@...> wrote:

      > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Maledon <kmaledon@> wrote:
      > >
      > > have you put them in the kiln yet? k
      > > On Apr 5, 2010, at 5:05 AM, artsypffartsy wrote:
      > >
      > You only want to use plasticine clay that never hardens to make your clay animation characters. It comes in many bright colors as well as neutrals. They do not need to be very large, as you can zoom in with your camera. "Claytoons" modeling clay is very good. I had to order it. Google for Claytoons clay if you do this. The reason you use non hardening clay is because you have to be able to move their arms and legs, and turn their heads. We made their heads with either a styrofoam core or an aluminum foil core, imbedded a pretty long toothpick through their head and down into the styrofoam body core. We also made their arms separate on a long wire that imbeds into the styrofoam body core. We twisted wire to make it stronger. The hands and feet are built on a wire loop at the end of the twisted arm/leg wire. The feet are supposed to be the heaviest part. For good reason. Heavy feet keep the armature from tumbling over. We used small hair rollers, about 1/2 to 3/4 inch diameter, or we used styrofoam for the trunks of the bodies. Hope that makes sense. This is definitely a great adventure. Some kids think they can make their characters do ANYTHING for their first animation...reality bites for most of them. I do think I have a few genius types, though. We'll see. Making scenery is fun, too. Doll house furniture is fun to use.

    • artsypffartsy
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 8, 2010
        What a great link in Barbara Reid's site! Wow. Now THAT is a kind of illustration that I would LOVE to do. I would like to do it with kids, too. Sure would be pricey, though, to do it with 60 kids. They would have to be pretty small. Wonderful site. There is another book, called "The New Baby Calf" that I have used before. I am running late for school as I write this. I wonder if that one is her work, too. Probably. It's adorable, and I have used it before, even to inspire cut paper work for a farm mural.