Students with disabilities?

  • Wanda
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 30, 2010
      Could some of you share how much you help you give students with sever
      disabilities? Our school has an inclusion police so I have special
      education students, some severly disabled with no aide, grouped with the
      rest of the population of students. I have as many as four self
      contained students in one class a long with 10-15 regular and advanced
      students. I probably assist them too much but I want them to feel
      successful. For instance art 1 students are working with clay making
      boxes, birehouses or teapots, I built one students box completely, she
      has downs syndrome and can hardly hold a pencil, she will add all the
      details to the outside and cut out the top to form a lid. Any thoughts
      on this? Wanda
    • aliteachesart
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
        Hi Wanda,

        First off, if your students need aides ask for aides to accompany them. You can also send your lesson plan ahead to the special ed. teacher. The teacher can go over it with the student for understanding and/or modifications. If students need the lesson modified you should modify it. Some of your advanced students could buddy up with a student that needs it- on a volunteer basis. I teach elementary, so it is different I know, but I write the steps and have a visual next to each for visual learners. I can take students up step by step and they know where to go for information. Seriously though if your students need hand over hand to get through cutting and basic things, they should have someone with them. Read the IEPs so you know what they can do and what you should be expecting. I wager you will see they are suppose to have aides with them. Students with challenges love the arts, and it is great that your students have the opportunity to be in your class mainstreamed. Choice would be a great way to go- your downs student and anyone else who wanted could be making tiles or a mobile while others made a box. Let us know how you solve this, its a problem everywhere. ALi k-4

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Wanda" <artistws@...> wrote:

        > Could some of you share how much you help you give students with sever
        > disabilities? Our school has an inclusion police so I have special
        > education students, some severly disabled with no aide, grouped with the
        > rest of the population of students. I have as many as four self
        > contained students in one class a long with 10-15 regular and advanced
        > students. I probably assist them too much but I want them to feel
        > successful. For instance art 1 students are working with clay making
        > boxes, birehouses or teapots, I built one students box completely, she
        > has downs syndrome and can hardly hold a pencil, she will add all the
        > details to the outside and cut out the top to form a lid. Any thoughts
        > on this? Wanda

      • Kathleen Maledon
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 31, 2010
          I taught in art an inclusive classroom and had conferences with the teachers to see where the strengths and
          challenges were and worked toward the strengths.  The kids don't have to do the same project.  For instance, with the brdhouse,
          the kid could paint an already built one or use markers and then use glitter glue.  Figure out what you, the kid and the parent want from the experience
          and go with that.  you won't go wrong. k

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 1 6:10 AM
            Thank you for all the help regarding the student with disabilities. I
            did get an aide for a few days to help her and the others in the class.
            The student was delighted with her box and is now in the process of
            adding her touches, I suggested that she make little balls then squash
            them to make polka-dots, she smiled a big smile and started making balls
            to smash. Wanda

            --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "aliteachesart" <abenton@...>
            wrote:

            > Hi Wanda,
            >
            > First off, if your students need aides ask for aides to accompany
            them. You can also send your lesson plan ahead to the special ed.
            teacher. The teacher can go over it with the student for understanding
            and/or modifications. If students need the lesson modified you should
            modify it. Some of your advanced students could buddy up with a student
            that needs it- on a volunteer basis. I teach elementary, so it is
            different I know, but I write the steps and have a visual next to each
            for visual learners. I can take students up step by step and they know
            where to go for information. Seriously though if your students need hand
            over hand to get through cutting and basic things, they should have
            someone with them. Read the IEPs so you know what they can do and what
            you should be expecting. I wager you will see they are suppose to have
            aides with them. Students with challenges love the arts, and it is great
            that your students have the opportunity to be in your class
            mainstreamed. Choice would be a great way to go- your downs student and
            anyone else who wanted could be making tiles or a mobile while others
            made a box. Let us know how you solve this, its a problem everywhere.
            ALi k-4

            > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Wanda" artistws@ wrote:
            > >
            > > Could some of you share how much you help you give students with
            sever
            > > disabilities? Our school has an inclusion police so I have special
            > > education students, some severly disabled with no aide, grouped with
            the
            > > rest of the population of students. I have as many as four self
            > > contained students in one class a long with 10-15 regular and
            > > students. I probably assist them too much but I want them to feel
            > > successful. For instance art 1 students are working with clay making
            > > boxes, birehouses or teapots, I built one students box completely,
            she
            > > has downs syndrome and can hardly hold a pencil, she will add all
            the
            > > details to the outside and cut out the top to form a lid. Any
            thoughts
            > > on this? Wanda

          • Amy Moreno
            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 1 7:03 AM
              how did you make the little balls? (sorry..I didn't read the whole thread) I am considering working with slightly disabled students (autistic and Downs Syndrome, as I have had a few  (ADD, ADHD and one with DS) students in VA, but am not trained in it and am looking for more info.

              Amy

              wrote:

              > Hi Wanda,
              >
              > First off, if your students need aides ask for aides to accompany
              them. You can also send your lesson plan ahead to the special ed.
              teacher. The teacher can go over it with the student for understanding
              and/or modifications. If students need the lesson modified you should
              modify it. Some of your advanced students could buddy up with a student
              that needs it- on a volunteer basis. I teach elementary, so it is
              different I know, but I write the steps and have a visual next to each
              for visual learners. I can take students up step by step and they know
              where to go for information. Seriously though if your students need hand
              over hand to get through cutting and basic things, they should have
              someone with them. Read the IEPs so you know what they can do and what
              you should be expecting. I wager you will see they are suppose to have
              aides with them. Students with challenges love the arts, and it is great
              that your students have the opportunity to be in your class
              mainstreamed. Choice would be a great way to go- your downs student and
              anyone else who wanted could be making tiles or a mobile while others
              made a box. Let us know how you solve this, its a problem everywhere.
              ALi k-4

              > --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Wanda" artistws@ wrote:
              > >
              > > Could some of you share how much you help you give students with
              sever
              > > disabilities? Our school has an inclusion police so I have special
              > > education students, some severly disabled with no aide, grouped with
              the
              > > rest of the population of students. I have as many as four self
              > > contained students in one class a long with 10-15 regular and
              > > students. I probably assist them too much but I want them to feel
              > > successful. For instance art 1 students are working with clay making
              > > boxes, birehouses or teapots, I built one students box completely,
              she
              > > has downs syndrome and can hardly hold a pencil, she will add all
              the
              > > details to the outside and cut out the top to form a lid. Any
              thoughts
              > > on this? Wanda

            • Andrucyk, Inez
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 1 4:30 PM
                Please stop sending me all these emails. I do not want to be a part of this site anymore. I am too busy working to read all of this materrial.

                Thank you
                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 2 6:28 AM
                  Surely, you didn't think someone else holds all the power over your membership? You have the power!

                  Hit the "edit membership" button at the top of the screen.

                  Sorry to bust on you, but this comes up at least twice a year.
                  Brandy

                • art_education-owner@yahoogroups.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 2 11:17 AM
                    Instructions on how to unsubscribe were sent to you when you subscribed as wall as posted here each month. To unsubscribe, go to the listgroup home page at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/art_education. Click on "Edit Membership."

                    Ken

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Andrucyk, Inez" <andrucyki@...> wrote:

                    > Please stop sending me all these emails. I do not want to be a part of this site anymore. I am too busy working to read all of this materrial.
                    >

                    > Thank you
                  • Kate
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 2 3:06 PM

                      Another option is to edit your membership and select the option of selecting daily digest and just receive one email per day.  That keeps you in the loop but doesn’t bombard you with dozens of emails every day.

                      Kate