Artsonia and budgets...

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 17, 2010
      Hello All,

      I see alot have chimed in on the budget topic. I would have to say that $3800.00 per year sounds like a dream to me. I have 565 students, I am the ONLY teacher and my budget is $250.00 per year.................

      I too have become a very good beggar.

      We have done at least two projects this year based on recyclables as parents LOVE to donate that stuff. Kids see what they can do with stuff laying around the house and can't wait to get home and did through the recycling bin.

      On another note, I have just been introduced to Artsonia. I am a little embarassed as I had heard of it before, but guess I wasn't really paying attention as I didn't really know what they were about.

      My question is, how many of you out there use the site and how successful is it for fundraising for your school/program?

      It seems too good to be true. I have yet to pitch it to my PTA but think it would be a big hit here as we are in a fairly affluent area.
      I know as a parent that I don't want to buy any more wrapping paper or chocolates or krispy creme donuts, but would cherish one of my daughters drawings on a coffee cup! When we lived in NY, our schools Art teacher did something similar through Silver Graphics and we loved it. I always wanted to look into something like it for my school, but seemed like a big job.

      Please let me know if you have had an experience with them and your opinion of the program.

      Thanks,

      Shelly in Seattle
    • ednakate
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
        I have used Artsonia for 2 years now. Past PTA boards said no...I asked for at least 5 years at my old school. Past PTA saw it as "one more fundraiser". It is actually more of a service, in my opinion.
        I post everything the kids create at my title 1 school and at the other, we have parent volunteers take and post the pictures. Families love this site. Especially those who live far away from extended family and those who are deployed.
        We have made over $300 this year at one school and just under $200 at another. The parents are also sending in more donations than I know what to do with-mostly recyclables but paper, fabric scraps, glue, paint, markers and wallpaper books too. I think because they see every week that we are using all the goodies.
        We save most of the art until May for the art show so Artsonia gives families a preview plus it allows me to explain each lesson. This year, I got a $35 gift card to Blick just for posting the art so I was able to get more pastels and some supplies for weaving.
        Alyssa
        San Diego

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "shellysart" <shellysart@...> wrote:
        On another note, I have just been introduced to Artsonia.
        My question is, how many of you out there use the site and how successful is it for fundraising for your school/program?

        Shelly in Seattle
      • UMUT HALLAÇ
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
          Dear My colleague
          We institute an association which contens art as art teachers. we are
          preparing some advertisements, brochures and catalogs for the
          introduction of our association. in these advertisements we are planning
          to write our name in different languages. I have a request from you.
          could you write that name in your language.
          best wishes, love from Turkey
          umut
          Visual Art Teacher

          English---"International Art Education Assocation"
          Turkish---"Uluslararasi Sanat Egitimcileri Dernegi"
          German ---"Internationaler Kunstpädagogen Verein"
          French--- ?
          Spanish --?
          Italian--?
          Greek--?
          Portuguese--?
          ......etc

          thanks
        • pent19
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 18, 2010
            if you work in the elementary and have the time artsonia is worth it. Its free to post student work and parents can buy if they want. I make $100-200 a year on it (which comes in a check directly to you for you to spend how you want). I love having the online gallery of each of my students work and being able to watch them grow. Once you get a system figured out (there have been plenty of threads on this) its fairly simple. You can always do a money maker project (holiday theme and post a month before the holiday), send a newsletter home mentioning artsonia and watch your money grow.
            I haven't had any problems with artsonia and they are really open to ideas and suggestions for making their website more user friendly.
            I used some of money last year to buy used crayon makers on ebay (something you cant get through catalogs). I would give it a try and try to post one artwork from each child and see how it goes. If you are looking to make money and have limited time start with the younger graders first.
            Good Luck!
            Michele NY
            past 2 years are mine, the older stuff is the former teacher

          • Vivi KL
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 21, 2010
              Dear Umut,

              In french:
                 L'Association Internationale d'Education en Art

              Best,
              Avy
              Montreal, Canada