Louise Nevelson Box Sculpture.....continuing saga

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 3, 2010
      Thanks to you all for all the great ideas. I have an added structure to contend with-a wooden/slatted structure (decorative?) that runs the whole way around the room at the top. I spent some time in the room and think I have an idea. We did paint the boxes. It took 4 of us and about 3 hours. We took the boxes outside and placed them on old shower curtains and started spraying. I have great helpers/parents at my school! They were cool before they were painted, but took on a whole new look all black. Kind of eerie, but really neat and textural.

      Here's my idea: I am going to use rope (natural or nylon) and utilize this wood slatted thingy to hang the rope on (loop at the end) and run it down to the floor where we will attach it to the floor with duct tape. Then lay out the boxes on the floor in the configuration we want (some taller and some shorter columns), then one by one duct tape the backs of the boxes to the rope. Will do as many columns as we need. I think they will be very stable as the rope is tied around this wooden thingy. Also super cheap as all we need is rope and tape. I will be taking tons of photos and keep you updated.

      One of the mom's had a very cool idea- we will go through after it is done and find different items in the boxes then make an "I Spy" for the kids to do while they are looking at it. I got alot of Happy meal toy donations and the kids used them in very interesting ways.

      Wish me luck with the installation!

      Shelly in Seattle