Re: [art_education] Mad and Sad at the same time!

  • Heather Martin
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 2, 2010
      what state do you teach in? This is awful. I am so sorry.

      Heather in GA

      On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM, mariannaD <MAKEART96@...> wrote:

      Hi all,
      I got notice that because of budget cuts. I am loosing my art position to a teacher who is not an artist, who is not certified in art, but only "highly qualifed"-- in other words, she passed the state elem tests. Not her fault. This is a recommendation ( an option) from our superintedent to save money. Get rid of me to hire someone cheaper in my place. I've taught art for 11 years in this school. I stayed on through 50% and 75% employment ( never getting tenured at this time) and finally got full time-- 2 years into tenure. All the years of dedication and excellent evaluations. Just makes me mad and sad what he and the board are doing to the art education of these kids!
      I was walking down the hall today looking at classroom art-- where all the art looks the same, every peice is cut out the same, placed the same, no creativity-- just following directions.
      Everything that we art teachers try to unwire from the brains of non art people to teach individualism, creativity, critical thinking, problem solving, appreciation, communication, expression, history, and the list is endless. It just once again minimalizes (sp) what we all do.

    • Helen Bolger
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 2, 2010
        Sorry to hear about this - It sounds like you are better off out of a
        place with so little appreciation!

        I hope it all works out well for you in the end.

        Helen

        mariannaD wrote:
        > Hi all,
        > I got notice that because of budget cuts. I am loosing my art position to a teacher who is not an artist, who is not certified in art, but only "highly qualifed"-- in other words, she passed the state elem tests. Not her fault. This is a recommendation ( an option) from our superintedent to save money. Get rid of me to hire someone cheaper in my place. I've taught art for 11 years in this school. I stayed on through 50% and 75% employment ( never getting tenured at this time) and finally got full time-- 2 years into tenure. All the years of dedication and excellent evaluations. Just makes me mad and sad what he and the board are doing to the art education of these kids!
        > I was walking down the hall today looking at classroom art-- where all the art looks the same, every peice is cut out the same, placed the same, no creativity-- just following directions.
        > Everything that we art teachers try to unwire from the brains of non art people to teach individualism, creativity, critical thinking, problem solving, appreciation, communication, expression, history, and the list is endless. It just once again minimalizes (sp) what we all do.

      • mariannaD
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
          I'm in Central IL. I wasn't tenure yet. I was there at the school for 11 years. Two years towards tenure. Yet a teacher under me with one year towards tenure was untouched.

          So, anyone know of any art teaching jobs out there in central IL?

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Heather Martin <sages7@...> wrote:

          > what state do you teach in? This is awful. I am so sorry.
          >
          > Heather in GA
          >
          > On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 9:01 PM, mariannaD <MAKEART96@...> wrote:
          >

          > > Hi all,
          > > I got notice that because of budget cuts. I am loosing my art position to a
          > > teacher who is not an artist, who is not certified in art, but only "highly
          > > qualifed"-- in other words, she passed the state elem tests. Not her fault.
          > > This is a recommendation ( an option) from our superintedent to save money.
          > > Get rid of me to hire someone cheaper in my place. I've taught art for 11
          > > years in this school. I stayed on through 50% and 75% employment ( never
          > > getting tenured at this time) and finally got full time-- 2 years into
          > > tenure. All the years of dedication and excellent evaluations. Just makes me
          > > mad and sad what he and the board are doing to the art education of these
          > > kids!
          > > I was walking down the hall today looking at classroom art-- where all the
          > > art looks the same, every peice is cut out the same, placed the same, no
          > > creativity-- just following directions.
          > > Everything that we art teachers try to unwire from the brains of non art
          > > people to teach individualism, creativity, critical thinking, problem
          > > solving, appreciation, communication, expression, history, and the list is
          > > endless. It just once again minimalizes (sp) what we all do.

        • Julie Casebourn
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 3, 2010
            Oh...In your post you said you were 2 years into tenure no?.  Maybe not being tenured  would weaken a case legally, but morally... I don't think so.  11 years sure shows loyalty on your part... the school's lack of commitment to you in return sure shows lack of character on their part.  After that many years.. you deserved tenure several years back.