Re: [art_education] What is your opinion?

  • Margaret K. Barton
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 2, 2001

      I feel that vouchers in essence would change the face of public schools as
      you now see them today. Private schools would very quickly be set up to
      accomodate special interests or to accomodate a variety of religious
      beliefs. The connection between the community and their schools would be
      cut off since many of the new private schools would be part of corporations
      or religious sects. I feel in the end the community would feel they have no
      imput in educational environment and thus would not support tax increases.
      One thing is for sure, special ed would remain in the public domain.
      Meg B.
    • Mary Kate
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 7, 2001
        I look at the voucher plan as finally being able to use the taxes I've been paying for years!  Here in Delaware, private & parochial schools get a minimum of support from the government.  That translates to no bus transportation, no school counsellors, and a school nurse only three days a week.  The parents pay ungodly prices for the bus, no subsidized milk or lunches (parents must pay for it all) & the school has to pay for the counsellor & nurse - raising tuition.  I feel that the vouchers will give more students a chance to attend their preferred school  & help alleviate the sacrifice others are making.  That's right, I said sacrifice.  Many have-nots scrape together what little they have to send their children to the school of their choice!   This will also help with the overcrowding in the public schools & make teaching rather than discipline more of a priority.  As for new schools popping up...if there are students to fill them then they were needed.  We have so many choices today, why can't that also apply to our children's education!  Rather than vouchers, I'd like to see all schools receive the same state & federal funding.  If the schools are producing well-rounded, well-adjusted, well-educated young citizens who cares what religion or philosophy is sponsoring the school!  Notice the huge trend towards home-schooling!  This sends a message to all schools.  "I can't afford the school of my choice & I prefer not to send my child to the local public school".  Something is not right when people elect to do it themselves.  Think of what's lost in the socialization of these home-schooled students.  We need all schools to be able to offer smaller class sizes to meet the needs of the individual child at an affordable price.  I don't know if the voucher plan will help this, but giving people a choice certainly can't hurt!

        At 8/2/2001 09:38 PM Thursday, you wrote:
        Dear fellow art educators,

        My question today concerns the debate over school
        voucher plans.

        What are voucher plans?  Just as a refresher, voucher
        plans involve giving parents cash certificates,
        vouchers, or tax credits from public funds to pay to
        send their children to schools of their
        choice--private or public.

        The debate over school vouchers has resurfaced with
        the election of President George W. Bush in an effort
        to improve our educational system.  Supporters
        maintain vouchers will strengthen the education system
        of the United states while those opposed contend that
        the vouchers will destroy the system and disrupt the
        social fabric of the nation.

        I tend to see both sides of the issue.  Vouchers have
        the potential of reinforcing effective schools while
        encouraging change in those schools that are not as
        effective.  On the other hand, school vouchers also
        have the potential of creating a divide between the
        haves and the have nots which would appear to go
        against the main goal of education: to educate the
        citizenry in order to live productively in a
        democratic society.

        I have participated in debates over this issue with my
        fellow grad school classmates this summer at the
        University of Nebraska at Omaha, and it appears most
        of us tend to be opposed to voucher plans because of
        the possible inequalities they could create.

        I'm very interested in what teachers across the
        country have to say about this issue.  Are you for or
        against voucher plans and why? How do you think
        voucher plans would effect music, drama, and art
        programs in the public schools? Is there another
        alternative you feel that our government should
        consider that would strengthen the education of our
        nation?

        --DeAnn Hanisch

        http://phonecard.yahoo.com/

        Small business owners...
        Tell us what you think!
        http://us.click.yahoo.com/vO1FAB/txzCAA/ySSFAA/PcIolB/TM
      • Judi Vokes
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
          I can understand how private schools would like to have funds from the
          public school pot.
          The solution to having schools that people don't want their kids to
          attend is for those people to go to work to improve them. Tough
          discipline policies and a refusal to accept any excuses, or anything but
          good behavior and a community that supports that stance is the answer.
          Otherwise schools like those in Harlem that are making such strides
          would not be working. If this were done more young bright people might
          choose to go into education and quality teachers who were serious about
          their business would come into the field. I personally don't think much
          of vouchers. I think it divides our country. Everyone who applies
          can't get a voucher. If too many people in a community are asking then
          maybe the community should look at the schools and figure out how to fix
          them!
          Just my opinion, Judi

[...]

          Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=195705.1453857.3031277.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1705
          019151:HM/A=675976/*http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/N1977.yahoo.com/B3989
          8.3;sz=468x60;ord=997189219?> www.nissandriven.com
          www.nissandriven.com

          <http://us.adserver.yahoo.com/l?M=195705.1453857.3031277.1261774/D=egrou
          pmail/S=1705019151:HM/A=675976/rand=220003413>

          <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/> .
        • JuneSatterfield@aol.com
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 8, 2001
            By subsidizing private schools through a voucher program or any other gov't.
            funding devise, we negate what makes private schools unique.  Private schools
            are permitted to control their student body through admissions and expulsion
            procedures because they are non-gov't. funded. Private schools don't always
            teach culturally or economically disadvantaged children; they don't always
            teach learning disabled children; they don't always teach emotionally
            disturbed children. They don't teach everybody because they are not public
            schools.
            A voucher system would essentially eliminate the differences between public
            and private schools, and American parents would lose the option of "scraping
            together" the tuition fees for an alternative to public education.