Non-expendables for the Art Room

  • ednakate
    Message 1 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
      The foundation at our school is having a fundraiser and have asked me what items I would like for the art room. The example they gave from science was a microscope. The idea is that a person could have something purchased for the art room and have a plaque affixed to the item stating that they donated that item.
      Our school is new and has a lot of technology so we have docucams, interactive white boards, etc. in each classroom. I do not have very many ideas for a large ticket item that could be used by several grade levels beyond a loom. What I really want is a kiln but our district insurance only allows kilns at the high school level.
      I was hoping one of you might have some ideas.
      Thanks,
      Alyssa
    • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
        How about a printing press?
        MaryJo

        --
        MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

      • Billie Dreher
        Message 3 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
           - How about a nice flat bed printer for printing styfofoam printiing plates or linoleum plates? - a really good one is about 1200 - its table mounted, too!  I just purchased a small one for 420 - but was really wishing I could purchase the larger model - it would last for decades!- no electricity!

          Billie Ann Dreher

          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010
            Or a nice Epson 2400 printer that you can print on a roll of paper or sheets over 11x14 inches?
            DO you do any photography with your students, they love shiny prints, that's for sure!!
            MaryJo

            Message 5 of 9 , Feb 8, 2010

              How about a heavy duty paper cutter?   I just bought one with my Artsonia money and it is awesome!

              Re:   The foundation at our school is having a fundraiser and have asked me what items I would like for the art room.

            • bethmorris1125
              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 9, 2010
                I agree with the poster who recommended a paper cutter if you do not have one. But also a printer or plotter would be fabulous. If you don't currently do photography -- you could. That is a bummer about the kiln. What about a large drying rack for artwork? That is something I cannot live without.

                ENJOY! How exciting!

                Beth
                Marietta, GA
              • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
                Message 7 of 9 , Feb 9, 2010
                  Let us know what you decide, I love to help people spend thier money!!!
                  MaryJo
                  New Jersey.

                  On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 7:52 AM, bethmorris1125 <bethmorris1125@...> wrote:

                  I agree with the poster who recommended a paper cutter if you do not have one. But also a printer or plotter would be fabulous. If you don't currently do photography -- you could. That is a bummer about the kiln. What about a large drying rack for artwork? That is something I cannot live without.

                  ENJOY! How exciting!

                  Beth
                  Marietta, GA

                  --
                  MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

                • aliteachesart
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 11, 2010
                    What about a book shelf filled with art books? I have a hand-me-down display shelf with lots of art, animal reference and beautiful picture books- students love to take them to the rug (another item) and read them and use them when drawing. Many parents that might not be able to afford a big ticket item would gladly spring for a book or two for your shelf. Whatever you choose- reach for the sky! You never know unless you ask! Ali B. k-4

                    --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "ednakate" <h8n2w8@...> wrote:

                    > The foundation at our school is having a fundraiser and have asked me what items I would like for the art room. The example they gave from science was a microscope. The idea is that a person could have something purchased for the art room and have a plaque affixed to the item stating that they donated that item.
                    > Our school is new and has a lot of technology so we have docucams, interactive white boards, etc. in each classroom. I do not have very many ideas for a large ticket item that could be used by several grade levels beyond a loom. What I really want is a kiln but our district insurance only allows kilns at the high school level.
                    > I was hoping one of you might have some ideas.
                    > Thanks,
                    > Alyssa

                  • Kelli Wilke
                    Message 9 of 9 , Feb 14, 2010
                      What about display cases?  Our school had nothing and I just received a grant and now I get to buy a 3-D display case and a museum style wall hanging system to put in the hallway!