re: air dry clay

  • Marcia Beckett
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2010
      I just did a bunch of testing and bought a whole bunch of kinds of air dry clay to find the best one that would be the sturdiest. The two that worked the best for us were: Amaco Marblex grey air dry clay and Nasco Boneware Non firing clay. There were a whole bunch that cracked so badly I will never buy them again. Make sure the kids are using a water/slip/score technique to attach all the pieces and make sure they are smoothed together well. Dry them slowly by placing them under plastic bags and slowly loosening the bags after a few days. I think it also depends on your climate and the humidity in your room, because sometimes what cracked terribly in our classroom worked fine for other people on this list. I had this discussion a couple years ago with people on a listserve because I was having such terrible luck with air dry clay. Also I have had really good luck with Sculpey clay. We bought white and then painted them. It is clay you have to
      bake in an oven. You can use tinfoil underneath the clay to allow for bigger pieces. The colored Sculpey clay is also fun, but that gets expensive. Good luck!! Marcia Beckett
    • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
      Message 2 of 6 , Dec 23, 2010
        Penny-
        I have not had alot of luck with reconstituing air dry clay...it gets weird when it's rewet -- it sets really slippery and not like regular clay. One time I got a bunch of it with my order that was hard as a rock - I tried to reclaim it and it didn't work, I ended up having to return it.
        I hope this helps.
        MaryJo

        --
        MaryJo Rosania-Harvie