ceramic whistles

  • Byrd1956
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 1, 2010
      My enrichment art 8th. graders are in the process of making clay whistles. I am by no means an expert, but have been quite successful in the past. If I practiced this on a daily basis I am sure I could trouble shoot much better. Does anyone have any great suggestions or techniques that have proven successful for you?
    • pent19
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
        this is a tough one, my 5th graders are doing whistles, this is my second year doing them. I do my whistles in two parts, the mouthpiece and the body (2 pinch pots put together). Some students can get them to work on their own after a demo, others need assistance shaping the 'ramp' (where the air splits after the mouth piece, some goes in some goes out.) I tell them it takes a class and a half to make them and 2 days to figure out how to make them work. the ones who finish early make creatures as a bonus for figuring it out. I think this project is a great challenge for students but simple in technique (besides the whole getting it to work thing). I do make a whistle that i split in half to give them a profile view, I think this helps them understand how it works. they are tough and some students can't grasp it, if you figure out something that hits it on the head, please share!
        michele ny

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@...> wrote:

        > My enrichment art 8th. graders are in the process of making clay whistles. I am by no means an expert, but have been quite successful in the past. If I practiced this on a daily basis I am sure I could trouble shoot much better. Does anyone have any great suggestions or techniques that have proven successful for you?

      • Terri Stokes
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010

          this is a tough one, my 5th graders are doing whistles, this is my second year doing them. I do my whistles in two parts, the mouthpiece and the body (2 pinch pots put together). Some students can get them to work on their own after a demo, others need assistance shaping the 'ramp' (where the air splits after the mouth piece, some goes in some goes out.) I tell them it takes a class and a half to make them and 2 days to figure out how to make them work. the ones who finish early make creatures as a bonus for figuring it out. I think this project is a great challenge for students but simple in technique (besides the whole getting it to work thing). I do make a whistle that i split in half to give them a profile view, I think this helps them understand how it works. they are tough and some students can't grasp it, if you figure out something that hits it on the head, please share!
          michele ny

          --- In art_education@ yahoogroups. com, "Byrd1956" <rhelsel@... > wrote:

          > My enrichment art 8th. graders are in the process of making clay whistles. I am by no means an expert, but have been quite successful in the past. If I practiced this on a daily basis I am sure I could trouble shoot much better. Does anyone have any great suggestions or techniques that have proven successful for you?

        • Susan Michael
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2010
            This is the directions that I have gave my son to use in his class
            Susan
          • Byrd1956
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2010
              Susan,
              Thank you so much for sharing. I think I will bring that page up on a laptop at school attached to a projector so all the students can see it. Some are doing great and helping others. Besides generic whistles we are making some w/tubes or straws to blow into. As I mentioned in a previous post I have been successful in the past. Check out these whistles on our portfolio page: http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=46545
            • Kelli Wilke
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 14, 2010
                If it hasn't already been suggested, I love the video "Whistle While You Sculpt".  It's a short 15-20 minute video about making whistles out of clay.  They use a lot of measurement terms but I tell my kids not to pay attention to all the numbers because it makes it seem overwhelming.  But I recommend the video.

                Kelli in NE