Re: art project for Auction-silk suggestion tips

  • Brandy
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 28, 2010
      The silk painting is best for 3-4th graders on the early side up to 12th grade. The hard part about it is putting on the silk resist, which is a non-wax resist paint. It spreads a bit and my younger students, k-2nd grade, didn't get it and ended up with lots of with blobs because their resist "melted" together.
      As for selling, we did a mixture, selling some at set prices and others as an auction just because we thought it would be nice to have a minimum to donate to the organization, and I thought it worked well. People were generous, but frankly several of the silks were *really* gorgeous and for a hand painted work of wearable art, it was a still a good deal for them.

      The hoops don't have any thing attached to them that would make them hang, but the hoop itself is so light and has a lip that a flat head tack stuck and used as a "nail" for the hoop over hang would securely hold it up forever. You can also thread a small loop through the top and use them as sun catchers or use that loop to hold it to the wall.
      Experience tip here: the silk paint stains badly. ( as I put it in class, "it will be a permanent memory of the fun we had here today." :) If you place plastic, as I did one year, under them to prevent from staining, what happens is the paints run down the plastic and jump over the resist that you set up, and this creates undesirable effects on the piece. A beautiful blue sky near a red rose will be stained an ugly dark purple if that happens and it's hard to cover up mistakes because the resist areas will all be white, and any new resist can only be done on dry silk and won't be outlined in white like other parts. The hoops must be painted so that they are off the table- the hoop space/area is underneath, otherwise the silk paint will mostly be absorbed by what is underneath it and you will use twice as much silk paint as you need. My other tip is, I do recommend adding the resist to the image one day and painting them the next. The wet resist doesn't work as well, and can smear if the child runs into it.
      My kids are used to our projects taking the full 55 minutes, but this project, because the hoops are small and don't take much paint, only take 15, 20 minutes max, to paint. The larger silks, like the 8x54 can take longer obviously, but they only take about 30-40 minutes for most students.
      Washing tip: It would be must useful to have a small team of volunteers to help wash and iron the silks. You can leave the resist on the silks, no harm done, but they do look best when they are washed of the resist, especially on larger silk scarves. You can place the silk scarves- not the hoop silks, they will detach form their hoops and look a bit ragged- in the dryer on low heat for 30-40 minutes, or dry on delicate after it's completely dry.
      Once you start to wash the resist out, you can't stop, however well you ironed, or didn't iron, you just have to keep going until the resist is out. The paint will bleed and it scares some people at first to see how much paint appears to be coming out, but keep going! If you don't, the wet paint will drip around and look terrible. I placed them on old sheets and towels face down to absorb any water/paint mixtures coming off of them, the firts ones that i hung up all ended up with a very dripping paint look, that oddly, never washed out again- despite that I hadn't try to reiron them, the drippy paint look wouldn't come out.
      When this project works, it is incredible impressive, but I certainly ran into a learning curve trying to use them and get 100% consistency in outcome.
      Regards,
      Brandy