Help with air dry clay!!

  • newartlanta
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 28, 2010
      My students desperately want to do ceramics, and soon. I want to do a lesson plan submitted by Linda Woods of St. John's Lower School, called Pop Art Food, from The Incredible Art Dept. I haven't done ceramics before and I need some help. I don't have a kiln, so I'll be using air dry clay. What do I look for in a good air dry clay and how do I keep it from cracking or breaking? My second question is how much clay do I need for a class of twenty? I'm researching this now but, any tips are strongly appreciated.

      Muhammad Yungai
      KIPP WAYS Academy
      Atlanta
    • Wanda
      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 29, 2010
        have you thought about papier mache? I teach 8th and 9th grades and they
        enjoy
        creating with papier mache. Ihave used the Pop Art food lesson plan with
        paper mache, kids will amaze you as to what they can do. I make my own
        paste in a blender with flour, water and elmers glue. When I didn't have
        a kiln my students used air dry clay that I ordered through Nasco Art
        Supplies, no problems but then students made face cups, some were very
        nice but could not be used a drinking cups so they used them to hold dry
        things. Having a snow day in Ar. :) Wanda --- In
        art_education@yahoogroups.com, "newartlanta" <newartlanta@...> wrote:

        > My students desperately want to do ceramics, and soon. I want to do a
        lesson plan submitted by Linda Woods of St. John's Lower School, called
        Pop Art Food, from The Incredible Art Dept. I haven't done ceramics
        before and I need some help. I don't have a kiln, so I'll be using air
        dry clay. What do I look for in a good air dry clay and how do I keep it
        from cracking or breaking? My second question is how much clay do I need
        for a class of twenty? I'm researching this now but, any tips are
        strongly appreciated.

        > Muhammad Yungai
        > KIPP WAYS Academy
        > Atlanta

      • newartlanta
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
          thanks Wanda that helps. I have done paper mache before also, We made these huge ants which are now "walking" along the heating vent on the ceiling. I wanted to give the the experience of working with clay to keep them exposed to new things. Thanks again.

          Muhammad

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Wanda" <artistws@...> wrote:

          > have you thought about papier mache? I teach 8th and 9th grades and they
          > enjoy
          > creating with papier mache. Ihave used the Pop Art food lesson plan with
          > paper mache, kids will amaze you as to what they can do. I make my own
          > paste in a blender with flour, water and elmers glue. When I didn't have
          > a kiln my students used air dry clay that I ordered through Nasco Art
          > Supplies, no problems but then students made face cups, some were very
          > nice but could not be used a drinking cups so they used them to hold dry
          > things. Having a snow day in Ar. :) Wanda --- In
          > art_education@yahoogroups.com, "newartlanta" <newartlanta@> wrote:
          > >
          > > My students desperately want to do ceramics, and soon. I want to do a
          > lesson plan submitted by Linda Woods of St. John's Lower School, called
          > Pop Art Food, from The Incredible Art Dept. I haven't done ceramics
          > before and I need some help. I don't have a kiln, so I'll be using air
          > dry clay. What do I look for in a good air dry clay and how do I keep it
          > from cracking or breaking? My second question is how much clay do I need
          > for a class of twenty? I'm researching this now but, any tips are
          > strongly appreciated.
          > >
          > > Muhammad Yungai
          > > KIPP WAYS Academy
          > > Atlanta

        • Kathleen Maledon
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 2, 2010
            hello,  try liquid starch found in grocery stores for papier mache - much easier.  cleans up well, too.  dilute the starch to just under half and half - more starch.
            AAron Bros in phx sells air dry clay.  parents in my school have used it.  20 lb bag for a class, plus some left over.  be sure not to put anything you use down your sink.
            I have a pail where kids prewash themselves and tables.  It's then thrown outside.  I don't know if you can paint it.  good luck