Re: Snow project

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
      I assume you mean you want to incorporate "images" of snow? Depending on the age/grade, I did a project last year for my K kids that focused on texture. I brought in all kinds of things for them to do rubbings with (textured placemats, pizza pan with holes in it, feathers etc...) and had them rub some kind of texture on construction paper for the background that made it look like it was snowing (with crayons). Then they did a separate piece of paper with 3 varying sized circles printed on it for the snowman's body. I had them do rubbings of the bottoms of their shoes-then other kids shoes on the circles. This was their favorite part! They cut out the circles and pasted them on the textured background. We added some other items for the eyes, nose and arms. Some kids did textured trees with a different textured rubbing. They were very cute. Could do this with 1st grade too. Older kids might find it boring.

      Also did something similar with snowflakes this year. Used snowflake rubbing plates (oriental trading)and had them do several on one sheet of white construction paper in different colors. Then we did a watercolor wash over the top. Came out really pretty. Did this with K and 1st. Could be adapted for older kids by using only white crayons and then the watercolor wash. Has a really cool effect. Not as easy as you might think.

      One more....got some free coated sculpture wire from Twisteez and used it to create wire mobiles. Made snowflakes with that too. This I did with 5th graders. Was challenging but came out really cool and the kids had alot of fun trying different ways to twist and join the wire. I will post some pics on my website to see. www.flickr.com/photos/shellysart

      Hope this helps! Good luck,

      Shelly in Seattle

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "baylorar191" <baylorar191@...> wrote:

      > Hi everyone,
      >
      > I am student teaching in an elementary art classroom and I wanted to do
      > a project that incorporates snow; but I'm having a hard time coming up
      > with ideas. Does anyone have suggestions?
      >
      > Thanks
      >
      > Ashley

    • baylorar191
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 6, 2010
        Thanks, these ideas are great!!!

        Ashley

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "shellysart" <shellysart@...> wrote:

        > I assume you mean you want to incorporate "images" of snow? Depending on the age/grade, I did a project last year for my K kids that focused on texture. I brought in all kinds of things for them to do rubbings with (textured placemats, pizza pan with holes in it, feathers etc...) and had them rub some kind of texture on construction paper for the background that made it look like it was snowing (with crayons). Then they did a separate piece of paper with 3 varying sized circles printed on it for the snowman's body. I had them do rubbings of the bottoms of their shoes-then other kids shoes on the circles. This was their favorite part! They cut out the circles and pasted them on the textured background. We added some other items for the eyes, nose and arms. Some kids did textured trees with a different textured rubbing. They were very cute. Could do this with 1st grade too. Older kids might find it boring.
        >
        > Also did something similar with snowflakes this year. Used snowflake rubbing plates (oriental trading)and had them do several on one sheet of white construction paper in different colors. Then we did a watercolor wash over the top. Came out really pretty. Did this with K and 1st. Could be adapted for older kids by using only white crayons and then the watercolor wash. Has a really cool effect. Not as easy as you might think.
        >
        > One more....got some free coated sculpture wire from Twisteez and used it to create wire mobiles. Made snowflakes with that too. This I did with 5th graders. Was challenging but came out really cool and the kids had alot of fun trying different ways to twist and join the wire. I will post some pics on my website to see. www.flickr.com/photos/shellysart
        >
        > Hope this helps! Good luck,
        >
        > Shelly in Seattle
        >
        > --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "baylorar191" <baylorar191@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Hi everyone,
        > >
        > > I am student teaching in an elementary art classroom and I wanted to do
        > > a project that incorporates snow; but I'm having a hard time coming up
        > > with ideas. Does anyone have suggestions?
        > >
        > > Thanks
        > >
        > > Ashley

      • theresafmcgee
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 7, 2010
          Ashley, found another resource that you could perhaps use to launch your snow project: Sites for learning About Winter
          -Theresa McGee
        • Dan Triplett
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 23, 2010
            Here's a project I did last year. Kids had fun with it:

            http://artmakeskidssmart.blogspot.com/2009/12/first-second-and-third-grade.html

            Dan Triplett Art Teacher Bordeaux Elementary
            Email: artmakeskidssmart@...
            Blog: http://artmakeskidssmart.blogspot.com/