Re: [art_education] spring semester ideas

  • Mary Hering
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2010
      Hi Wanda,

      I hope this helps...enjoy

      mary hering

      From: Wanda <artistws@...>
      To: art_education@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Tue, January 5, 2010 2:48:52 PM
      Subject: [art_education] spring semester ideas

      Help! I have burn out and need some ideas for my art 1 (9thgrade)
      students for this spring semester. Guess what I need is some fresh
      ideas. I don't need lesson plans just the general idea and I think I can
      take it from there. You may email directly instead of cluttering up the
      group board. Thanks, Wanda

    • The Prior House
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 6, 2010
        Re:spring semester ideas  Hi _ I have a few ideas –they may not be at all what you are looking for, but just in case...

        First, I also agree with the suggestion to explore Cubism.

        And maybe explore more  of the “Math in the Art” -- like look at the  Looking at tangrams again – but with older students in mind.  Take a look at Patrick Scotts Tangram I, explore the real math in a Tangram (the angles and all that – fascinating) explore the history behind it, etc.

        Tooth pick art – paint a lesson themed background and then use toothpicks to make tribal designs, explore architecture or make sculpture and figures.

        Metal art

        Study Joseph Stella (bridges, Pittsburg pics, or other aspects)

        Calligraphy

        Make a mask  (many students love these as a keepsake)

        Cardboard art.

        Paper mache’ people

        Have a paint brush workshop: We recently experimented with brush sizes, synthetic vs. natural, and lots of misc. details or facts about paintbrushes.

        Drip art.  My students (of all ages) lovvvvve anything with drip art.  We set up stations

        History in art. Use a state or national standard (preferably that the student already knows so the info is familiar) and have students depict a battle or event with their choice of media.  One of our students recently thought of showing an officer that got metal chards in his eyes – and is making a 3-D figure that is rubbing the eyes and crouching over – while standing on the deck of a ship.  Very unique way to show this scene.

        HTH,  Yvette in VA

        RE: Help! I have burn out and need some ideas for my art 1 (9thgrade)