Re:Photography projects

  • Ellis Conley
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      Hi Sue:
      Good luck with your class, you are so lucky to have 20 computers!  I only have five.  I rotate my kids through 3 lessons--the darkroom, the digital lesson, and a printmaking project.  I can only have 4 in the darkroom at once, and only 5 on the computers, so the rest do a variety of printmaking lessons--block printing, stamping, monoprints, collographs, plexiglas etching, screen printing, etc.   I had them build pinhole cameras out of peanut cans which was very successful, but it was in September, when the weather was good, lots of sun.  Not sure what the weather would be where you are this semester.  When I started out, I got most of my digital plans off the Adobe lesson plan site, and have since tweaked them into my own direction.  If I can be of any specific help, let me know.
      Julie in WV
    • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
        Sue (and all),
        I am actually excited to talk High school photography with some other teachers. Many months ago I posted on here asking for some ideas, discussion, etc. for my 4 levels of high school photo -- and got no response -- so I thought I was all alone in the world!
        I have some ideas on my website:

        but I also have an outline I can email you when we get back to school. It includes all 4 levels and what I cover in each level. It's hard with so many levels - because you do not want to repeat too much, but also want each level to be fun on it's own. For instance, I do not do pinhole cameras until Photo 3 -- the students are not patient enough in Photo 1 and 2 to really have success -- so I made that choice. I also do not do Photo grams until Level 2 -- this is because I do not think they understand composition well enough in Photo 1. My photo 1 class is all about composition, elements of design and making meaning with photographs -- I do a large unit on portraits -- both film and digital.

        I have lots more to discuss and will gladly send you resources -- I have been out of school mode with the holidays, but am eager to share!!
        thanks for bringing this topic up again :)
        MaryJo

        On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Sue Stevens <suestevens@...> wrote:

        Hello all - and Happy New year!

        I am teaching a photography course next semester - new for our
        school......we have a small darkroom with limited black and white equipment
        (3 kids max at a time). We have 20 computers with photoshop elements on it
        (although one of the 'new' computers is already out for repair)......and
        yep - you guessed it - a full class of 28 - 30 kids!!! (last time I checked
        there were 28 in the class, but the max is 30 and with 3 weeks to go until
        semester two, I'll max out.) Oh, and I have a scanner hooked up to one of
        the computers. No printer in the room, but all the computers are connected
        to the school network so they can print to a variety of black and white
        lazer printers as well as to a huge colour lazer printer (although printing
        does cost them $ each time, so they will only do that if they want to keep
        the image, for the most part, things might get handed in digitally).

        I was able to convince the Principal to buy me "Focus on Photography" - but
        have not yet actually ordered yet, as the Canadian distributor for Davis has
        changed hands as of January 1, so had to wait on that.....hopefully I can
        get that delivered before the beginning of semester!

        SO.....I'm looking for project ideas......

        I am going to have the students make a basic pin hole camera - thought that
        would be good.
        I'm sure we'll do a Warhol style project using their own face.....
        I was thinking about having students make their own 'book'....showing
        examples of photography skills ie: types of compositions, exposures,
        etc.....something that would be printed in black and white type, so they
        have to deal with page layout etc. (likely use Corel Draw for that).

        Since it is an art course, I'm also trying to think of things that utilize
        photography in the process, but perhaps goes further with other mediums? We
        are in my second art room for this course, which does contain an old big
        printing press....but there's not a huge amount of extra surface space after
        the computers have all been put in.

        Any ideas?

        --
        MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

      • BARBARA YALOF
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
          Hi and thanks for this info. I wonder why I cannot download any of your great links for using photoshop? Do they work for you? They might be very useful to me and to others.Thanks!!!
          Barbara

          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
            Do not copy & paste the links, re-type them in without any spaces and that may fix your problem.

            Hope this helps,
            DeAnna Michelle

            "Be who you are and be that well."
            - Saint Francis de Sales -

            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
              Do you have an Adobe reader?  They should open up as PDF files. (I have a link to download the reader on the same page as the Photoshop handouts.)
              Let me know how it works out.
              MaryJo

              Sent from my iphone.

              Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:59 PM