Re: [art_education] Photography projects

  • MaryJo Rosania
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
      Sue- what grade level are you teaching?
      MaryJo

      On Dec 31, 2009, at 12:03 PM, "Sue Stevens" <suestevens@...> wrote:

      Hello all - and Happy New year!

      I am teaching a photography course next semester - new for our
      school...... we have a small darkroom with limited black and white equipment
      (3 kids max at a time). We have 20 computers with photoshop elements on it
      (although one of the 'new' computers is already out for repair)..... .and
      yep - you guessed it - a full class of 28 - 30 kids!!! (last time I checked
      there were 28 in the class, but the max is 30 and with 3 weeks to go until
      semester two, I'll max out.) Oh, and I have a scanner hooked up to one of
      the computers. No printer in the room, but all the computers are connected
      to the school network so they can print to a variety of black and white
      lazer printers as well as to a huge colour lazer printer (although printing
      does cost them $ each time, so they will only do that if they want to keep
      the image, for the most part, things might get handed in digitally).

      I was able to convince the Principal to buy me "Focus on Photography" - but
      have not yet actually ordered yet, as the Canadian distributor for Davis has
      changed hands as of January 1, so had to wait on that.....hopefully I can
      get that delivered before the beginning of semester!

      SO.....I'm looking for project ideas......

      I am going to have the students make a basic pin hole camera - thought that
      would be good.
      I'm sure we'll do a Warhol style project using their own face.....
      I was thinking about having students make their own 'book'....showing
      examples of photography skills ie: types of compositions, exposures,
      etc.....something that would be printed in black and white type, so they
      have to deal with page layout etc. (likely use Corel Draw for that).

      Since it is an art course, I'm also trying to think of things that utilize
      photography in the process, but perhaps goes further with other mediums? We
      are in my second art room for this course, which does contain an old big
      printing press....but there's not a huge amount of extra surface space after
      the computers have all been put in.

      Any ideas?

    • Brandy
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
        http://members.cox.net/bergiemoore/photo.html

        Here's is my online photo syllabus with the projects we used, and a few extra photo lessons. The photo montage would be great to do on a computer, as it took many-many- many printed photos to complete, and we often only used about half of what the kids printed out.

        http://digital-photography-school.com/blog/how-to-make-a-inexpensive-light-tent/#more-225
        Here is the lesson plan of the light tent we built in class and then learned to use macro shot with.

        http://digital-photography-school.com/
        Here was a good digital photography (which is what I taught) online photo site.

        http://www.kodak.com/eknec/PageQuerier.jhtml?pq-path=411&pq-locale=en_US&_requestid=1533
        This was a great, ready made voc. list for my students to read over.

        http://www.microsoft.com/prophoto/icons/shaw/portfolio.aspx
        Here was a modern photography that I thought had some extraordinary images.

        I am a private art teacher without a dark room, so all these projects were completed with the help of Costco or Walgreen's :) I loved teaching photography so much! Have fun,
        Brandy

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Stevens" <suestevens@...> wrote:

        > I am teaching a photography course next semester
        > Any ideas?

      • Sue Stevens
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010

          Hi,
          Sorry - I should have included that in my original blurb about the photography - it is actually a grade 12 art course, but there will be student in there that are grade 11 also (and 'victory lappers' grade 13s).  All students 'should' have completed grade 11 visual arts (as it was the pre-req) but some squeek through the cracks.
          Thanks.
        • Ellis Conley
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 1, 2010
            Hi Sue:
            Good luck with your class, you are so lucky to have 20 computers!  I only have five.  I rotate my kids through 3 lessons--the darkroom, the digital lesson, and a printmaking project.  I can only have 4 in the darkroom at once, and only 5 on the computers, so the rest do a variety of printmaking lessons--block printing, stamping, monoprints, collographs, plexiglas etching, screen printing, etc.   I had them build pinhole cameras out of peanut cans which was very successful, but it was in September, when the weather was good, lots of sun.  Not sure what the weather would be where you are this semester.  When I started out, I got most of my digital plans off the Adobe lesson plan site, and have since tweaked them into my own direction.  If I can be of any specific help, let me know.
            Julie in WV
          • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
              Sue (and all),
              I am actually excited to talk High school photography with some other teachers. Many months ago I posted on here asking for some ideas, discussion, etc. for my 4 levels of high school photo -- and got no response -- so I thought I was all alone in the world!
              I have some ideas on my website:

              but I also have an outline I can email you when we get back to school. It includes all 4 levels and what I cover in each level. It's hard with so many levels - because you do not want to repeat too much, but also want each level to be fun on it's own. For instance, I do not do pinhole cameras until Photo 3 -- the students are not patient enough in Photo 1 and 2 to really have success -- so I made that choice. I also do not do Photo grams until Level 2 -- this is because I do not think they understand composition well enough in Photo 1. My photo 1 class is all about composition, elements of design and making meaning with photographs -- I do a large unit on portraits -- both film and digital.

              I have lots more to discuss and will gladly send you resources -- I have been out of school mode with the holidays, but am eager to share!!
              thanks for bringing this topic up again :)
              MaryJo

              --
              MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

            • BARBARA YALOF
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                Hi and thanks for this info. I wonder why I cannot download any of your great links for using photoshop? Do they work for you? They might be very useful to me and to others.Thanks!!!
                Barbara

                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                  Do not copy & paste the links, re-type them in without any spaces and that may fix your problem.

                  Hope this helps,
                  DeAnna Michelle

                  "Be who you are and be that well."
                  - Saint Francis de Sales -

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 2, 2010
                    Do you have an Adobe reader?  They should open up as PDF files. (I have a link to download the reader on the same page as the Photoshop handouts.)
                    Let me know how it works out.
                    MaryJo

                    Sent from my iphone.

                    Sent: Saturday, January 02, 2010 12:59 PM