Re: [art_education] Re: mural help

  • Sue Stevens
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 29, 2009
      Hi,
      I don't know what the original mural question was, but I thought I would offer what we do.....we are actually not allowed to paint directly onto the walls in the school.  We use large 4 x 8 foot sheets of Masonite wood.  If we are doing it that big, then I usually get the 1/4 inch thickness as it doesn't flex as much.  If we're doing smaller ones, then I go to the 1/8 inch.  The masonite is primed and then painted (we paint on the smooth side).  Once done, it is installed on the wall by the school board.  When the school wants to repaint the walls, the mural can be taken down and saved and then put back up.

      This year, I am doing a large mural that will go above the lockers and stretch the length of a classroom (maybe 3 feet by 16 or 20 feet) that was inspired by a poster I found in Amsterdam of New York artist Paul Giovanopoulos.  Each student gets one small panel 6x7 iches (or something like that, I measured the space and did the math to make it fit) of 1/8 inch masonite.  Each student is creating their version of the school mascot (they worked from a master graphic that I provided so there was some consistency).  Some students are doing famous artist/art inspired versions, others went more abstract, others did versions like 'santa' mascot, animee mascot, etc.  I'm having every art student all year do this project, both semesters!  So in the end, there should be 120 - 130 of them.  I will then take construction adhesive, and bond the small panels to larger sheets of 1/8" masonite cut to the right size.  Once that has dried, the whole thing can be installed on the wall (they screw it into the cement walls).  My grade 9 class of 30 students has finished their panels so far, and when they were put out on one of the big art tables, it looked really neat!  I can't wait to see what my grade 10s and 12s have planned for their panels next week (it was their homework to do 4 preliminary versions over Christmas for this project).

      Happy New Year everyone!
      sue