art ed solutions

  • Wayong@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 10, 2002
      Yup, I've contacted the local museums. The programs here are on the minimal side. One museum will allow an artist to provide 1 to 4 workshops (each workshop is for only one evening) for the whole school year. The other museum has very limited program opportunities as well (I'm doing a couple of workshops this summer). I've contacted the two art programs that provide art for home schooled kids & hopefully something will come out of that. So far, I only have 4 1/2 to 7 hours of work starting in the fall. Even with potentially getting work through the various art programs, I'll realistically be working 15 hrs a week. I have to say that if there is work out of state that is more challenging, less prep time & fun, I would seriously have to consider relocating. It's all good to be altruistic & want to help a community that appears deprived (despite its wealth), but one's gotta protect oneself. And the community has be willing to trust an 'outsider' and 'stranger'. I have been trying to fight the system both from within & without for the past 1 year & a half. I'll keep trying (or at least until I leave) but it's going to take someone with more gumption, funding capabilities and political contacts than me in order to make any changes around here.

      One option is to go into private practice to do treatment and teach art. But again, I'll need to get a job first in order to pay off the rent, the supervision, the advertising and marketing, the malpractice insurance & renter's insurance. You can open a whole can of worms & not know what you are getting yourself into if one's not careful.

      Again, I'm keeping all options open... but if a great opportunity elsewhere comes my way, I will have to say saianara to where I currently live. I know my strengths and weaknesses. I know I can be an incredible asset to an existing program (and I have been told so in the past!), but I'm not the best shmoozer & businessperson.

      Wayong