Re: [art_education] printmaking - first grade

  • MARYANN KOHL
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 4, 2009
      The insoles you can buy for shoes can be cut into patterns and shapes, glued on a block of wood or other foundation, and make great prints.

      Twine string around a paper towel tube, roll in paint, and roll on paper.

      Bubble wrap: roll with a brayer in paint and then on bubble wrap, and press paper on the bubble wrap.

      Dip a fly swatter in paint, flap on paper.

      Drive a toy car through paint on a cookie sheet, and then on paper.

      There is no end to printing ideas for grade ones!

      I could go on and on!! My Scribble Art book is full of printing ideas.

      MaryAnn Kohl

      On Dec 4, 2009, at 4:52 PM, Kieren Dutcher wrote:

      I just did a printmaking project with 5th graders that I bet first graders could handle. I bought a pack of foam sheets that are sticky on the back at Michael's , each kid gets one, and a piece of cardboard for the printing plate (I cut scrap foamcore into 6 inch squares) The kids draw and cut out shapes, peel off the paper backing and stick to cardboard. Roll ink over the surface, lay paper on top, make a print. We did snowflakes and stars, white ink looks great on blue or black paper. We looked at photos online of actual snowflakes, you could be as intricate or simple as you want.
      good luck!
      kieren in ca

    • Susan Michael
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 5, 2009
        For my print class I recycled foam egg cartons. The tops I cut into 2 square foam plates and the bottoms I divided into sections for paint for each child to use - ie 6 egg wells for six paint colors. Students can draw their own design or use a simple cookie cutter to imprint the foam sheet. Susan
      • MARYANN KOHL
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 5, 2009
          You can do this same project with egg cartons or styrofoam grocery trays.
          THey glue the shapes they cut from the styrofoam onto a block of wood or piece of cardboard.
          And as Kieren describes, for first graders, either paint the shape or use a brayer or even dip the shape into paint,
          and then print on paper.