Re: [art_education] Re: Grade 1 Printmaking (or other) Ideas

  • Julie Casebourn
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 3, 2009

      I just did a printmaking lesson with 2nd grade today, but have also done this lesson with 1st grade in the past.  I learned it from art teacher Elizabeth Brown.  Ask local glass store to provide you with scrap glass and they might be willing to cut it for you too into squares or rectangle peices approx. 6x6 or 8x8ish.    I have a class cutter.. they aren't too expensive to buy.. you could cut the glass yourself if they can just donate it to you.  Hardware stores like Lowe's and Home Depot sometimes give me scraps too.

           Ok.. so after acquiring or cutting your glass into squares or rectangles.. tape the edges with masking tape.  YOU WILL NEED FOR YOUR CLASS:

      one glass plate for each child,

      various markers (permanent are best),

      manila, white drawing paper or white typing paper, kids put name on their papers

      a spray bottle filled with water (for you to use or one per adult),

      one dry/one damp paper towel per child

      You can direct the imagery how you would like so that it fits into your curriculum.  The basic mechanics of how to instruct:

          Students draw images using markers directly onto clean glass plate, (hint:  put a piece of white or manila paper underneath so kids can see what they draw well).

           You spray water onto manila or white paper and wipe off excess with your hand so paper is DAMP not dripping wet (practice a little so you know how much spraying to do and how much wiping off to do to get into the right groove so you don't spoil the print).

           Lay damp paper directly over the drawing on glass plate.  Press down gently.. rub gently.

           Pull print

           lay somewhere to dry

      Tips:  if image smears it was either too much water, or they moved the paper when they rubbed

               if image prints off spotty... not enough water or not enough pressing and rubbing by kid

               after initial print is dry.. kids can embellish..use paint, more marker, glitter paint pens etcc

               You can mount on paper and make a card

       Extension:  use Crayola fabric crayons and draw on white paper.  Iron/transfer and print onto a piece of cloth.. I ask for old pillow cases from local motels and cut them apart to iron the kids' designs onto.  You can print more than one time from a drawing this way.. the print fades a tad with each printing/ironing, but you can teach pulling multiple prints.  VERY cheap way to teach a printing lesson. Colors from the fabric crayons look dull on paper but really brighten up when ironed onto fabric.  You can also do multiple prints from the glass, but you will need a master design under the glass from which the kids can trace.. their own original drawing.. then drawn.. printed.. redrawn reprinted and so on.  More work but they will get the idea of multiple or a series... always sneaking in that vocab.

    • pent19
      Message 2 of 10 , Dec 3, 2009
        I am having my kindergartners make their own wrapping paper for a present. I have cut up previous used lino-blocks. Students could experiment with color, patterns and designs. It probably won't take too long, but it could be in addition to another project
        Michele

      • kismet_c2
        Message 3 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
          I'd like to thank everyone who sent ideas for my grade 1 lesson. I will go through each of them and already feel certain to find something that I will use. I really appreciate all of your suggestions.

          Thanks again,
          Sandra
        • Denise Pannell
          Message 4 of 10 , Dec 4, 2009
            I was going to suggest Gadget Printing also. One of the best "gadgets" I have discovered is the plastic tube center of a tape register receipt roll. It makes the best starburst design! We use them for clay also.

            I have done a successful project with my first graders that involves folding and tearing a face (and all the facial features) and then gadget printing on top using black tempera. Great for introducing symmetry!

            You can see some examples in this Artsonia gallery for our school:
            Close up:
            http://www.artsonia.com/museum/art.asp?id=5342769&exhibit=187055&gallery=y

            This one shows the sunburst eyes made from the receipt tube:
            http://www.artsonia.com/museum/art.asp?id=1784371&exhibit=74180&gallery=y

            More examples:
            http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=74180&index=12

            Denise Pannell