Re: Holiday gift suggestions?

  • aliteachesart
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
      Art Stocking stuffers:

      Oil Pastels
      Glitter crayons
      Play Dough
      Modeling Clay
      Paper and envelopes
      Hole Punchers (a second grader exclaimed "I'm putting this double hole punch on my Christmas list!" the other day)
      Watercolors
      Pastels
      Sculpey Clay
      Shrinky Dinks
      How to draw books with new markers or colored pencils...

      I'd love to get all that booty in my stocking! Hope that helps, ALi

      --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "priorhouse" <priorhouse@...> wrote:

      > Hi. Okay, I have had numerous parents ask what kind of art items they could buy for their children (k through 7) for holiday gifts this year. They wanted to know what would be some key items that could help enrich student art skills (at home and at school) and/or items that would just be good for the student to have.
      >
      > Does anyone have any suggestions for this? What are good "art" stocking stuffers or gifts for parents to give?
      >
      > Thanks,
      >
      > Yvette in VA

    • The Ericksons
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 4, 2009

        Staedtler – Mars drawing pencils   2H  HB  2B  4B  6B

        Staedtler – Mars white eraser

        Good quality sketchbook

        Set of Prismacolor Colored Pencils

        Set of Pentel Markers

        I try to give my parents good brands to buy so the gifts are really special and they aren’t wasting their money on cheap supplies.

        Cindy

      • The Prior House
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
          Re: Holiday gift suggestions? RE:  Does anyone have any suggestions for this? What are good "art" stocking
          stuffers or gifts for parents to give?

          THANKS so much for sharing your ideas with this.  I shared the three lists I received from you all and then made a list of my own:  Here is what I came up with for my parents:

          List 1: Good pencils and drawing materials

          Staedtler - Mars drawing pencils 2H HB 2B 4B 6B
          Staedtler - Mars white eraser
          Good quality sketchbook
          Set of Prismacolor Colored Pencils
          Set of Pentel Markers Watercolor paints and some good paper.

          List 2: Art Stocking stuffers:
          Oil Pastels
          Glitter crayons
          Play Dough
          Modeling Clay
          Paper and envelopes
          Hole Punchers (a student recently exclaimed "I'm putting this double hole punch on
          my Christmas list!" )
          Watercolor paints (try and purchase Crayola or Prang paints.  They have the most pigment for the money.
          Chalk Pastels
          Sculpey Clay
          Shrinky Dinks
          How to draw books with new markers or colored pencils...

          List 3: Books, books, books!
          13 Artists Children Should Know
          13 Women Artists Children Should know
          13 Paintings Children Should Know
          13 Buildings Children Should Know
          .
          Vincent's Colors
          The Story of Painting
          Art for Kids Drawing

          My list of items to consider:

          A. Make a coupon book for times you can spend time “exploring” art together.  Maybe have a once a month date to explore art more. Some ideas are going to a museum, taking a class together, or sitting down to do some art work.
          B. Give a gift certificate to an art supply store and let the student pick out their own items.  My son selected a cute little pencil pack with carrying case that he still has many years later.  I also never knew he would want a mini easel until we went with a gift card, so give your child the opportunity to shop and look around at the choices!
          C. Get lots of different types of paper.  Large sheets, colored sheets, printed sheets, card stock, cards and envelopes, and of course some plain white paper.
          D. Splurge on plenty of storage cases for supplies. Having the right amount of proper sized containers is so helpful!  And things that are stored properly are easier to get to and can then be used more!  Also, art supplies can be very expensive and the right containers will not only prevent loss of supplies, but it can also protect them to last longer.
          E. Buy different types of sketch books. Some sketch books have thin paper for drawing, some have thick paper to hold paint, and some are multi-purpose - Buy a few and have them ready to use!  Also, have one notebook serve as an art journal where the child can reflect on his art experiences, art desires/goals, and overall progress!
          F. Lots of different kinds of markers, pens, pencils, calligraphy or chisel tip markers, and various paintbrushes.
          G. Different kinds of paint.
          H. Try to have lots of misc. craft items for experimenting.  Remember there are different types of art. 1. Art on the wall (two dimensional items like paintings, tapestry, and photography) 2. Freestanding art (three dimensional sculptures) and 3. Contemporary craft mediums (three dimensional items like fiber art, jewelry (or other wearable items), and wood, metal, furnishings, etc.).
          So some fun things to have around are: different types of glue, scissors, tapes, cardboard, wire (floral/pipe cleaners), puff balls, beads, string, yarn, clay, rope, foam pieces, gems, cloth scraps, wooden pieces, foil, tools, types of clay, etc.

          Lastly, be careful of buying too much.  Be careful of thinking that more supplies would equate to more or better art.  Sometimes parents (and teachers) collect and gather stuff and then that becomes the focus rather than actually using the items they have.  Sometimes too many choices can be crippling – and often “less is more.”   But sometimes the right supplies are essential so have fun shopping!

          Take care,

          Yvette in VA