Holiday gift suggestions?

  • priorhouse
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
      Hi. Okay, I have had numerous parents ask what kind of art items they could buy for their children (k through 7) for holiday gifts this year. They wanted to know what would be some key items that could help enrich student art skills (at home and at school) and/or items that would just be good for the student to have.

      Does anyone have any suggestions for this? What are good "art" stocking stuffers or gifts for parents to give?

      Thanks,

      Yvette in VA
    • Sarah Maguire
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hi Yvette,
        I'm new in the group and I teach K-8 Art in Santa Barbara. I'm
        putting together a list of books about art for parents to buy for our
        classroom, library or for their kids. I like a lot of the books from
        the Met (I get the Met Kids catalog). I often buy the books for less
        on Amazon. Some of the books making the list are: 13 Artists
        Children Should Know, 13 Women Artists Children Should know, 13
        Paintings Children Should Know and 13 Buildings Children Should
        Know. I like that whole series. I also love a book called
        Vincent's Colors, and one of my favorite books is "The Story of
        Painting" part of the Usborne series. I like most of the Met Kids
        books and most of the Usborne Art History books, I usually read the
        reviews on Amazon if I haven't seen the book before. "Art for Kids
        Drawing" by Kathryn Temple is a great drawing guide book for kids in
        grades 3-8. I'll write more when I put my whole list together but
        definitely check out Met Kids and the Usborne Art series. Usborne
        Art ideas, "Big Book of things to Draw" is a good one too. Hope that
        helps,
        Sarah
        Santa Barbara, CA
      • aliteachesart
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 2009
          Art Stocking stuffers:

          Oil Pastels
          Glitter crayons
          Play Dough
          Modeling Clay
          Paper and envelopes
          Hole Punchers (a second grader exclaimed "I'm putting this double hole punch on my Christmas list!" the other day)
          Watercolors
          Pastels
          Sculpey Clay
          Shrinky Dinks
          How to draw books with new markers or colored pencils...

          I'd love to get all that booty in my stocking! Hope that helps, ALi

          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "priorhouse" <priorhouse@...> wrote:

          > Hi. Okay, I have had numerous parents ask what kind of art items they could buy for their children (k through 7) for holiday gifts this year. They wanted to know what would be some key items that could help enrich student art skills (at home and at school) and/or items that would just be good for the student to have.
          >
          > Does anyone have any suggestions for this? What are good "art" stocking stuffers or gifts for parents to give?
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Yvette in VA

        • The Ericksons
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 4, 2009

            Staedtler – Mars drawing pencils   2H  HB  2B  4B  6B

            Staedtler – Mars white eraser

            Good quality sketchbook

            Set of Prismacolor Colored Pencils

            Set of Pentel Markers

            I try to give my parents good brands to buy so the gifts are really special and they aren’t wasting their money on cheap supplies.

            Cindy

          • The Prior House
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 6, 2009
              Re: Holiday gift suggestions? RE:  Does anyone have any suggestions for this? What are good "art" stocking
              stuffers or gifts for parents to give?

              THANKS so much for sharing your ideas with this.  I shared the three lists I received from you all and then made a list of my own:  Here is what I came up with for my parents:

              List 1: Good pencils and drawing materials

              Staedtler - Mars drawing pencils 2H HB 2B 4B 6B
              Staedtler - Mars white eraser
              Good quality sketchbook
              Set of Prismacolor Colored Pencils
              Set of Pentel Markers Watercolor paints and some good paper.

              List 2: Art Stocking stuffers:
              Oil Pastels
              Glitter crayons
              Play Dough
              Modeling Clay
              Paper and envelopes
              Hole Punchers (a student recently exclaimed "I'm putting this double hole punch on
              my Christmas list!" )
              Watercolor paints (try and purchase Crayola or Prang paints.  They have the most pigment for the money.
              Chalk Pastels
              Sculpey Clay
              Shrinky Dinks
              How to draw books with new markers or colored pencils...

              List 3: Books, books, books!
              13 Artists Children Should Know
              13 Women Artists Children Should know
              13 Paintings Children Should Know
              13 Buildings Children Should Know
              .
              Vincent's Colors
              The Story of Painting
              Art for Kids Drawing

              My list of items to consider:

              A. Make a coupon book for times you can spend time “exploring” art together.  Maybe have a once a month date to explore art more. Some ideas are going to a museum, taking a class together, or sitting down to do some art work.
              B. Give a gift certificate to an art supply store and let the student pick out their own items.  My son selected a cute little pencil pack with carrying case that he still has many years later.  I also never knew he would want a mini easel until we went with a gift card, so give your child the opportunity to shop and look around at the choices!
              C. Get lots of different types of paper.  Large sheets, colored sheets, printed sheets, card stock, cards and envelopes, and of course some plain white paper.
              D. Splurge on plenty of storage cases for supplies. Having the right amount of proper sized containers is so helpful!  And things that are stored properly are easier to get to and can then be used more!  Also, art supplies can be very expensive and the right containers will not only prevent loss of supplies, but it can also protect them to last longer.
              E. Buy different types of sketch books. Some sketch books have thin paper for drawing, some have thick paper to hold paint, and some are multi-purpose - Buy a few and have them ready to use!  Also, have one notebook serve as an art journal where the child can reflect on his art experiences, art desires/goals, and overall progress!
              F. Lots of different kinds of markers, pens, pencils, calligraphy or chisel tip markers, and various paintbrushes.
              G. Different kinds of paint.
              H. Try to have lots of misc. craft items for experimenting.  Remember there are different types of art. 1. Art on the wall (two dimensional items like paintings, tapestry, and photography) 2. Freestanding art (three dimensional sculptures) and 3. Contemporary craft mediums (three dimensional items like fiber art, jewelry (or other wearable items), and wood, metal, furnishings, etc.).
              So some fun things to have around are: different types of glue, scissors, tapes, cardboard, wire (floral/pipe cleaners), puff balls, beads, string, yarn, clay, rope, foam pieces, gems, cloth scraps, wooden pieces, foil, tools, types of clay, etc.

              Lastly, be careful of buying too much.  Be careful of thinking that more supplies would equate to more or better art.  Sometimes parents (and teachers) collect and gather stuff and then that becomes the focus rather than actually using the items they have.  Sometimes too many choices can be crippling – and often “less is more.”   But sometimes the right supplies are essential so have fun shopping!

              Take care,

              Yvette in VA