Re: [art_education] Overhaul of Incredible Art Department

  • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
      Ken-
      I agree with Suzette -- because even as a high school teacher I sometimes look at Elementary level lessons for inspiration -- I feel most projects are adaptable for any age group -- with the exception of a few (i.e. exacto knives in kindergarden! - or that type of thing) -- but Themes are very important to the way I teach and research for projects. I show my photography students paintings, drawings, etc.
      If you could group by theme, this would work well for someone like me.
      thank you,
      MaryJo

      On Tue, Dec 1, 2009 at 10:01 PM, Suzette Milam-Morrow <suzet@...> wrote:

      Ken,

      I tried to list all the broken links and gave up. Too many to go on. I think it is good just to do the over-haul and eliminate the dead links as you go. I have been so busy with my on-line art instruction site that I have not had much browsing time.

      I have to say that when I am searching for an artist for a unit I look for the theme or big idea that matches the artist. So if you had a cross reference to artists that would be good to introduce in various bigger ideas it would be great. For example artists that would be good to use if you were talking about “Community” or “Animals in Art” or “Pillars of Character” or “Miniature Art”. I like teaching by starting with a “Big Idea” and breaking it down to smaller parts like media, styles, e&p of design, etc.

      Thanks for tackling that job.

      Suzette Morrow

      http://theartstudio.ning.com

      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 2, 2009
        Thank-you for asking this question-
        I would LOVE! to see multiple search options. There are just too many artists for me to know, so being able to do searches by topics or ideas/subject matter is really useful, but am I really into teaching art history, and I often do look for ideas on specific artists. If I could search for either, that would be the best idea of all.
        I have a several cookbooks who do this- i can search by ingredient, the name of the dish, the type of dishes (appetizers or salads, etc.) or by season that the dish occurs in the cookbook. I love it.
        Since the list search sends you to a second page, creating multiple list engines and then linking them to the one lesson plan would seem, though time consuming in the beginning, not a difficult task.
        I find the grade recommendations the least useful.

        Just my two cents. Thanks for asking,
        Brandy