Re: [art_education] Re:packing tape sculptures

  • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 23, 2009
      If you could all post some pictures of these - that would be great....!
      MaryJo  in New Jersey

      On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 9:14 PM, Kelli Wilke <kdenne14@...> wrote:

      What great ideas and tips!  Thank you and keep 'em coming if you got 'em!!

      Kelli in NE

      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 24, 2009
        When I have my class do these - the students put something in-between the layers of tape - like thread, pieces of newspaper, tissue paper - we've had all kinds of things work . I'll try to get some pics up.

        Namaste,

        Jim Cipalla

        Art Department Head,Art Teacher,
        North side Middle School
        Norfolk,Virginia
        JCipalla@...

        Art is made of love,heart,creation and feelings, you go deep inside to find an artist of beautiful creation. A creation from an artist isn't just a drawing, or a painting but a feeling or a thing that lives inside. Art is creations from people's hearts. Art brings out personality and love. Art is the feeling of Joy.
        = A.B. = One of my wonderful Sixth grade students.

        --
        MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

        --
      • julie t.
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 24, 2009
          i just remembered a few more tips--we used plastic gloves from the cafeteria (or custodian) for the hands and if doing a real head, i had 'em wear a "shower cap" (those cheap ones from beauty supply where i bought the styrofoam head).

          as another suggested, we do separate parts of a body at a time also, cuz it can get tight!  students worked in groups of 4-5 and i was sure to have several bandage scissors on hand to avoiding waiting while wrapped.

          in the past, we've stuffed the figures with colored tissue paper instead of newspaper.

          i don't know how to post pics, but i'd emailed the local newspaper about our installation http://www.whittierdailynews.com/education/ci_13794786

          (if you email me offline, i can attach more photos in an email)

          :-) julie t.
          southern california

        • Linda Miller
          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 24, 2009
            Hi there!!

            Tape sculptures are really fun and the kids enjoy them!! I've tried
            both ways of starting - with saran wrap and sticky side up tape. The
            saran works better just because of the frustration factor of the
            sticky side up part. I start with the bottom torso/leg pose first,
            wrap in saran, then at least 3 layers of good, thick, clear packing
            tape (not the the thin stuff.) Usually the feet and calf area I put
            more layers depending on how the figure is standing. I squeeze the
            tape and check for resistance so the thicker it is the better it can
            stand on its own. It depends on what you are doing with the sculpture
            as to how many extra layers you will put on the sculpture.

            Cutting the model out - I found the wrapping paper cutters, a
            protected blade in a plastic handle, works great vs. the possible
            clothes cutting of scissors. Get several, especially now with the
            holidays, because the thicker the layers the harder the cutter has to
            work, and it is just plastic. For the bottom section I cut down the
            side of the legs so the re-taping isn't so noticeable and it is easier
            to get the leg and foot out. For the top section, there are many cuts
            to be made. I usually start on one side and cut up the side and down
            the arm to the hand. With the other side, it depends on the pose, but
            you'll need to get the other arm out. It may be that you can do the
            same thing or go from the neck hole, down the back of the shoulder,
            down to the hand. The less cuts the stronger the whole piece is so you
            will have to play it by ear.

            The second part would be to saran the top portion of the posed model
            and repeat the taping. Be careful when you are wrapping with the tape
            to not make it too tight - it could cut off circulation- and that
            would be bad. :-) As for the head, I use a styrofoam wig head so I can
            get a long enough neck to put in the neck hole of the torso section.
            There's also that suffocation thing that happens when you wrap
            someone's head so I recommend the wig head.

            Once you have all your pieces made then you assemble them together. I
            close the pieces first, usually taking short tape pieces that mate the
            cut sides together and then I wrap around the whole section to
            strengthen the sides. You will have to feel the difference when you
            put these together. Putting the torso with the leg section you will
            need extra hands to fit the pieces together, use short tape pieces to
            link them and then wrap, wrap, wrap them together.

            I've created several with kids for school and at home for Christmas
            decorations. They are a hoot! I have pictures if you would like to
            see. The ones I created as outside Christmas decorators lasted fine
            for several weeks and now they hang in my classroom. They are very
            durable and the spot lights made them look opalescent. I've even
            created one for our elementary spring production of Willy Wonka. It
            became the chocolatized Gustav who we fished out of the chocolate
            river. I spray painted him brown and it still looks great today!

            I'm sure you could do different things with them and you'll only be
            limited by your imagination!

            Good luck!!

            Linda
          • Patti Brigman
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 25, 2009
              As I've read many of these posts on packing tape sculptures, I've gotten the bug to do this.  I've always thought it looked fun, but have never seriously considered doing this project.  How difficult would this be with elementary kids (say...5th grade)?  How much time, overall?  (I see them 45 min., once a week)  And Linda, I'd love to see your pics!

              Thanks and Happy Thanksgiving!
              Patti

              i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
              Join me

            • Wanda
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 25, 2009
                Couple of questions:

                1. How long does this take, I have 55 minute classes. Could they finish
                and arm or leg in on class session if not what do you do?

                2. How many rolls would it take for "one" regular size head,1 arm,1
                foot-leg to knee ?

                My junior high students would love this if it isn't too costly. Thanks,
                Wanda
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Linda Miller <elleoz@...> wrote:

> [...]
                > strengthen the sides. You will have to feel the difference when you
                > put these together. Putting the torso with the leg section you will
                > need extra hands to fit the pieces together, use short tape pieces to
                > link them and then wrap, wrap, wrap them together.
                >
                > I've created several with kids for school and at home for Christmas
                > decorations. They are a hoot! I have pictures if you would like to
                > see. The ones I created as outside Christmas decorators lasted fine
                > for several weeks and now they hang in my classroom. They are very
                > durable and the spot lights made them look opalescent. I've even
                > created one for our elementary spring production of Willy Wonka. It
                > became the chocolatized Gustav who we fished out of the chocolate
                > river. I spray painted him brown and it still looks great today!
                >
                > I'm sure you could do different things with them and you'll only be

              • Terri Stokes
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 28, 2009
                  Arms  & heads go fast. And not as much tape as torso and legs. Feet are done separate .3 rolls of tape per body approximately.

> [...]

                  > strengthen the sides. You will have to feel the difference when you
                  > put these together. Putting the torso with the leg section you will
                  > need extra hands to fit the pieces together, use short tape pieces to
                  > link them and then wrap, wrap, wrap them together.
                  >
                  > I've created several with kids for school and at home for Christmas
                  > decorations. They are a hoot! I have pictures if you would like to
                  > see. The ones I created as outside Christmas decorators lasted fine
                  > for several weeks and now they hang in my classroom. They are very
                  > durable and the spot lights made them look opalescent. I've even
                  > created one for our elementary spring production of Willy Wonka. It
                  > became the chocolatized Gustav who we fished out of the chocolate
                  > river. I spray painted him brown and it still looks great today!
                  >
                  > I'm sure you could do different things with them and you'll only be

                • Terri Stokes
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 28, 2009
                    I was thinking it might be possible to turn a tape sculpture into a permanent garden sculpture by applying cement. any takes on this idea?