Re: [art_education] marbled paper

  • Reen Shannon
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 6, 2009
      I've had students make practice chinese calligraphy then write their name on the marbled paper.  This web site has tons of names on it: chinesesculture.about.com.  They also make paper then mount the smaller marbled paper to the handmade paper so it is framed by the homemade paper.  I've always used shaving cream but I think I might try the oil paint method.  I've either had to buy the shaving cream- about 1 can for 3 students- or asked for donations.

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 6, 2009
        I have used them for VanGogh Starry Nights:
        http://www.discountschoolsupply.com/Community/Resources.aspx?ActivityId=215061
        http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=108999

        And for backgrounds for block prints:
        http://www.artsonia.com/museum/gallery.asp?exhibit=73824&index=24

        We used the shaving cream/liquid watercolor method for marbelizing our paper.
        Hope that helps!

        Denise Pannell

        > Ok guys, my students will be making marbled paper tomorrow, 8th
        > grade, and I need a new idea for using the paper once completed.
      • icreatemore
        Message 3 of 14 , Nov 7, 2009
          I found this and think I will do something like it for Xmas ornaments. http://www.stampin.com/tips/brdcge.htm

          Have any of you ever tried using shaving cream instead of the oil method? It works similar and for me would be the way I would go.

          I think marbled paper would make an interesting background for any art work. The chose of color could add to any theme.

          Art 1 and Pre-advanced art
          7&8 grade
          --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Reen Shannon" <reens@...> wrote:

          > I've had students make practice chinese calligraphy then write their name on the marbled paper. This web site has tons of names on it: chinesesculture.about.com. They also make paper then mount the smaller marbled paper to the handmade paper so it is framed by the homemade paper. I've always used shaving cream but I think I might try the oil paint method. I've either had to buy the shaving cream- about 1 can for 3 students- or asked for donations.

        • Ellin Ifft
          Message 4 of 14 , Nov 9, 2009

            I’m net to the site – may have missed this but what is the shaving cream method of marbleizing paper?

[...]

          • The Ericksons
            Message 5 of 14 , Nov 9, 2009

              Here’s the lesson off of IAD that I use.   I drop on Blick liquid watercolor and it works well.

              Cindy

              Shaving Cream Marbling

              Submitted by: Carol Hough
              Lewis Frasier Middle School , Hinesville , Georgia
              Unit: Paper Marbling
              Project: Shaving Cream Marbling
              Age Group: All grade levels (Second Grade "Starry Night" Lesson)
              Time needed: one class period
              Extensions: Use in sketchbooks and bookmaking

              Materials:

              shaving cream, tempera paints (or liquid watercolors), paper plates (or trays for larger prints), brushes, combs, paper (cut to size needed), cardboard, sponges for clean-up

              Objectives:

              • Students will gain appreciation for the art of paper marbling
              • Students will explore color and design
              • Students will learn the history of paper marbling

              Motivation:

              1.Introduce the history of paper marbling.
              http://www.suminagashi.com/history.html
              http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/don/dt/dt2182.html
              http://pachome2.pacific.net.sg/~johnacs/

              2.Demonstrate process for students

              Procedures:

              1. Layer about 1 inch of shaving cream onto a paper dish (or trays)

              2.Level it out with a piece of cardboard as a scraper

              3.Use water based paint.  I used the Prang tempera cakes and made them very liquid.  Paint directly on top of the shaving cream.  Use different compositions like concentric circles, stripes, half moons.  etc.

              4.then using the back of the brush or a pointed stick or tooth pick.  Swirl the paint.  Do not push it down deep into the shaving cream.  The paint will stay on the top.

              5.cut paper small about 6"x6" .  Lay paper on top of the design and press down  (printing technique).  Pull the paper off.  The shaving cream will appear to be all smeared but wait.

              6.Use the piece of poster board to squeeze off the excess shaving cream.  Like magic the design stays on the paper.

              You can reuse the shaving cream until it gets drab.  Just mix it in and paint again and again.  Carol has pulled 6-8 prints from 1 layer of shaving cream.

              You make the prints into personal little journal covers. Students find this to be so much fun.  Buy the shaving cream at the dollar store.  Clean up is easy too.

              Carol is using the paper as book covers for  little geometric fold books.   The paper is also very good in collage projects or mixed media projects where you can add beads and wires, etc.  You could even make pins and the such.  So many possibilities.

              It works best with Prang watercolor products.  Crayola puts added wax into their watercolors and they don't stay intense.