Re: [art_education] procedures for cleaning brushes and palettes

  • Sue Stevens
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
      What grade(s) are you teaching?

      I teach 9-12, and gave up on washing pallets a few years ago, because the students never really cleaned those well (even when I assigned one to each student, and it was the only one they got to use).....so I switched to squares of wax paper for acrylic paint....works great!  I buy big rolls of wax paper at the grocery store (200 feet), and cut that down into about 6 inch squares (doesn't actually take very long).  The students dispose of those at the end of class (not very environmentally friendly, but I got tired of the mess in the sinks!).
    • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
        High School too.
        I just hate to throw paint away....especially if they are mixing colors..they can save the palette and use it to get the same colors again. I am telling you, the Murphy's works wonders. Even on old paint! and it smells nice too!
        MaryJo

        --
        MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

      • Sue Stevens
        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
          Oh I agree - hate to see paint wasted!  I spend a lot of time teaching students to not take too much paint.....it's like trying to teach them not to take too much ice cream (ha ha).  I keep a supply of film canisters around for students who mixed a larger quantity and need to keep it for another day.
        • De Anna Michelle
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 3, 2009
            Please forgive my ignorance, but "Murphy's" what do you use to clean up with???

            Thanks,
            DeAnna Michelle

            "Be who you are and be that well."
            - Saint Francis de Sales -

            Message 5 of 8 , Nov 4, 2009
              Hefty makes interlocking plates where the plate can become a lid and lock. I have used these and they last well. I bought mine at big lots (a discount store up here-$2 for 25). I have had them for three years now. They are much easier than cleaning out the wells of palettes too. I had them at my high school and would assign detention kids palette duty or offer cleaning them for extra credit (the kids did wash them out when they were done but a thorough cleaning was done by these other students). And at elementary the kids love coming down and helping me clean them at the end of the day (I just keep them in the sink with water on them so they don't dry out) Acrylic works best in them. You could even put wax paper in them and just toss the paper when the project is over and use the plates to store them.
              Michele ny

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Sue Stevens" <suestevens@...> wrote:

              > Oh I agree - hate to see paint wasted! I spend a lot of time teaching students to not take too much paint.....it's like trying to teach them not to take too much ice cream (ha ha). I keep a supply of film canisters around for students who mixed a larger quantity and need to keep it for another day.

            • MaryJo Rosania
              Message 6 of 8 , Nov 5, 2009
                Oh, sorry for not being more specific--Murphy's Oil Soap. The cleaner for hard wood floors.  I know it sounds strange, but it really works!
                MaryJo

                Sent from my iphone.