Snowflake templates/stencils-plastic

  • shellysart
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
      Hello All,

      I am trying to do a rubbing project with my Kindergarteners. Last year we used lots of flat textured items that they could rub over to get different textural effects, then cut out the shapes to make a snowman and added other textural items to make him 3D.

      This year I wanted to do a rubbings/resist type project using Snowflakes. I am thinking it would be cool to have some hard plastic snowflake templates or stencils to rub overwiht crayons or oil pastels. Maybe like 4"-5" big.

      I could cut them out by hand from paper, but would be WAY time consuming and tedious as I want to have many different designs for them to choose from.

      I have seen the kind of thing I am looking for with insects on them, but not snowflakes. I did try searching online but only found like paper stencils or super expensive ones you use for decorating cakes etc...

      Does anyone know of a source for this kind of thing? I know it is hard to understand what I am describing, but any direction would help.

      Thanks!

      Shelly in Seattle
    • Linda Gomez
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
        Hi,

        They have the exact thing you are looking for on ebay! That is UK ebay but USA may also have them. Beware of ordering from UK at the moment as there is a postal strike on.
        Just seach for stencils and you will find snow flakes along with other designs.

        Best wishes,

        Linda.

        To: art_education@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
          If you find die-cut wooden snowflakes in various sizes - glue those to a base.  I've used die-cuts to make printing plates.
          Susan
        • meryl

            From: shellysart@yahoo. com
            Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 18:47:05 +0000

[...]

            New Windows 7: Find the right PC for you. Learn more.

            =
          • Terri Stokes
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
              RE: I recommend this book: THE HIDDEN MESSAGES of WATER by Masaru Emoto...discovered that crystals formed in frozen water reveal changes when specific, concentrated thoughts are directed toward them. he found that water from clear springs and water that has been exposed to loving words shows brilliany, complex, and colorful snowflake patterns. Remarkle photos included. While we are on the subject, this reading will make your lesson more meaningful for the children and you as well. A more profound awareness to supercede the superficial rush in teaching that we find ourselves at times. What are we here for. To pass on a beautiful knowledge through Art, of wonder and a world.

              Kind regards,
              tere

              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009

                Another great enrichment resource for snowflakes  is  http://snowflakebentley.com/       Snowflake Bentley was a man who spent his life studying and photographing snowflakes.   They used to have a lot of his snowflake photographs online but I see that they are now selling a CD.   His life story is pretty fascinating though.

                Cindy, who is enjoying 70 degree weather and not yet thinking about snowflakes…..

[...]

              • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 2, 2009
                  If you saw "What the Bleep Do We Know" they discuss this in that movie.
                  So amazing!!

                  --
                  MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

                • Steven Graham
                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                    Masaru Emoto's claims are not scientific and have never been published in any mainstream science journal.  His photos are very beautiful and artistic.  However his experiments are are pseudoscience.  He clams thought waves effect water......what are thought waves?  I do not think you can effect my health one way or the other by thinking thoughts about the water in my body.  Don't teach junk science....

                    Steven Graham

                    On Nov 2, 2009, at 5:45 PM, Terri Stokes wrote:

                    RE: I recommend this book: THE HIDDEN MESSAGES of WATER by Masaru Emoto...discovered that crystals formed in frozen water reveal changes when specific, concentrated thoughts are directed toward them. he found that water from clear springs and water that has been exposed to loving words shows brilliany, complex, and colorful snowflake patterns. Remarkle photos included. While we are on the subject, this reading will make your lesson more meaningful for the children and you as well. A more profound awareness to supercede the superficial rush in teaching that we find ourselves at times. What are we here for. To pass on a beautiful knowledge through Art, of wonder and a world.

                    Kind regards,
                    tere

                  • Brandy
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                      Oriental trading company had some snowflakes for sale.
                      But they were the positive design, so if he kids painted around them they would end up with a negative space snowflake. Might be a good combo to add to the lesson; positive and negative space.
                      Regards,
                      Brandy

                    • crasm@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 3, 2009
                        There is research being done-please do not stop someone from sending loving ideas to the kids by being narrow minded-teaching the science of how the crystals are formed with this man's belief systems(being honest that they are his) is wonderful and shows the ways science has always formed-first it isn't believable and then it is-oh yeah, Steve, the world is flat-and ends-it's scientific.......