Wonderful Winter Art, Music, Literature, Etc. Lessons for PreK - Grade 8

  • Heidi
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 27, 2009
      Wonderful Winter Lesson Plans

      Winter and the holidays are now just around the corner, and once again, the AMC resource participants have not let their readers down. Many of the participants have contributed outstanding lesson plans, recipes, crafts and more that you can use right now in your school and home classrooms. Below, are just some of the highlights of what you will find in this issue.

      Part 1

      See http://www.amonco.org/winter1/montessori_winter1.pdf

      In Part 1 you will discover the following:

      KidzClix.net has contributed Make-A-Food-Mosaic. This fun activity incorporates art and larger geometrical shapes. This is an excellent extension practical life exercise that can be used with any food unit study. KidzClix has also donated a bonus activity that children can do for FREE right at their website. Don't miss out. Visit Part 1 for details.

      Also, included in Part I is Rita Arpaia's Start with the Winners Book List. She will show you the recipe for making just the right match for your children. Then, take some time out to discover Mollie's Collage Paste Mix activity. Mollie has probably used this activity many times in her Montessori classroom.

      Rae, from the Creative Process, has offered three free activities that will spark the imagination of your students. Scribble Designs, Masks and Mask Making, Sharing Food Unit Study and a wonderful, brand new Teaching Alternative Energy Ideas will all add some zip to your winter lesson planning.

      Part II

      See http://www.amonco.org/winter2/montessori_winter2.pdf

      Linda, from the Storyboard , submitted the Rain Stick or Rain Maker. This fun filled activity, designed for young children, is sensorial and an imaginative art exercise. When the project is completed, children will enjoy making the sound of rain with their rain sticks.

      Rick, from Fun With Languages, contributed a Miami style Pistachio Poppy Seed Cake recipe. This recipe would be a great addition to any holiday gathering. Speaking of recipes, renowned Montessori teacher, Kathy O'Reilly, from Cooking With Children Can Be Easy, submitted a yummy Old Fashioned Sugar Cookie Cutouts. This recipe is also perfect for your holiday celebrations.

      Part III

      See http://www.amonco.org/winter3/montessori_winter3.pdf

      I love the smell of baked apples. This autumn and winter try a new apple recipe. Ginger-Coconut Baked Apples is sure to delight your family and friends. Dale, from North American Montessori Center, has also shared the Montessori Button-Buddy activity. Dale takes you step by step on how to present this lesson and provides an extension exercises as well.

      Richard, from LORD Company, has uploaded some FREE materials for you to use in your school and home classrooms. Read Part II of this newsletter to learn more about The Land and Water Forms Cards and Labels set and how to use them.

      Verna, from The Music House, contributed the Aromatic Basmatic Rice with Saffron. This delicious dish could be served at any upcoming multicultural event or be an unexpected delicious treat for your holiday meal.

      Wenda, from Birdcage Press, has provided an amazing let of free lesson planning materials for a unit study about Renaissance and Impressionist artists.

      Part IV

      See http://www.amonco.org/winter4/montessori_winter4.pdf

      The Scented Basket project, contributed by Mariaemma of Coaching for Learning Success, provides an opportunity for your students to learn more about art, and they will end up with a special holiday gift. Dianne, from Conceptual Learning, provides yet another tasty Nutty Chocolate Pudding Squares recipe that is great for your holiday parties. Dianne, has also graciously contributed some outstanding Montessori Math Sequencing lessons in .pdf

      Georgette, from Cantemos, has compiled information for an integrated, fun pineapple unit study.

      It's not to late for the younger children to participate in the fall squirrel project. This is one new project that you will want to tuck away for next fall as well. Your students are also sure to enjoy the papier mache activity submitted by Shari of Shari and Jerry.

      Dr. Borenson, from Hands On Equations, has once again contributed a free hands-on algebra activity. In this section, you will also discover more about the free Animals in the Winter unit study.

      Part V

      See http://www.amonco.org/winter5/montessori_winter5.pdf

      Karen, from Fun Felt, has consistently demonstrated her creative talents. In this issue, she has shared her Handprint Towel. This activity is a wonderful hands-on project, with the dual effect of doing something truly meaningful with children and helping them to create a gift with lasting memories. Karen has also shared her special Pumpkin Pie Scented Playdough Recipe. This is sure to delight the younger set!!

      Joan, from Nation Relation, submitted a Recipe of World Tolerance. This is something we continually need to impart to those we educate.

      Ligia, from Childsake, submitted an easy to make, delicious Holiday Cheesecake. Yum!!

      Part VI

      See http://www.amonco.org/winter6/montessori_winter6.pdf

      Another yummy recipe that is sure to delight the chocolate lovers in your family is Farmer's Favorite Fudge recipe. This was contributed by Larry of Farm Country General Store.

      Angela, from Wildridge Software, submitted a Hearty Fall Kale Soup recipe that is sure to warm you up on chilly wintery days.

      Now for some soapy science fun!!! You read that right. John, from Exploration Education contributed a free Soap That Grows lesson. This lesson is in .pdf and contains all of the illustrations, pictures and detailed lesson plans you need to make this activity a success.

      Part VII

      See http://www.amonco.org/winter7/montessori_winter7.pdf

      Try a unique, tasty recipe that is sure to delight your friends and family. Mary Roberts, from Hello Wood, sums up the taste of her Onion Pie recipe with one word…..Yum-m-m-m!!

      Elaine, from Kimbo Educational, makes informal entertaining quick and easy with her delicious Spinach Dip Recipe. Elaine also provided a literature link activity for Three Little Kittens.

      Crepes Recipe for Children can be used as part of a unit study about the French culture. It could also be used for specific multicultural celebrations, and would be a scrumptious addition to a holiday meal.

      Marjorie Kiel Persons contributed Winter by Vivaldi. Educators can use her complete lesson plan by customizing it to fit most age groups. Here are just a few ways educators can use the unit study:

      *Put into historical context, i.e. Baroque Period – the Pilgrims' landing at Plymouth Rock in 1620.

      *Creatively used in conjunction with art, science and geography activities

      *Easily incorporated into other existing music programs

      Marjorie includes links to lyrics and to a portrait of Vivaldi.
      Please see http://www.amonco.org/winter7/montessori_winter7.pdf
      to view this entire lesson plan.

      Sharon Jeffus shared the following in the recently uploaded AMC
      Fall/Winter 2008 newsletter.

      "This lesson has as its goal not only to teach a little history, teaching
      drawing skills, show how important art is for communication, but to encourage children spiritually and creatively as well. C.S. Lewis's movie "The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe," is truly a work of art. We are going to focus first on the door through the wardrobe and secondly on Father Christmas and his gifts. It is exciting to think about going into a window or door into someplace very special. Windows are exciting ideas for art projects. Tomp d'oil is the idea of looking back into time. Perspective is used so that it looks like you could actually walk into the picture."

      To receive a free Visual Manna newsletter just brimming with excellent FREE art lesson plans visit Part VII.

      Now, that you have some new lesson plans, delve in and begin to put some extra sparkle into your school and home school settings. I wish you a fun filled winter..

      Many of the resource participants who contributed to this newsletter are featured in the monthly drawings. See the AMC Montessori website for details on how to enter. Visit http://www.amonco.org and http://www.amonco.org/directory.html today!

      Visit http://www.amonco.org/montessori_winter_handson.html to view all sections of the newsletter.

      Please also visit American Montessori Consulting http://www.amonco.org and look under New and Notable for additional articles and free lesson plans.

      Heidi
      http://www.amonco.org
    • Joanne
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2009
        Thanks for this information. It's great!