Chair Auction Success Story (plus Square 1)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2004
      Dear Art Educators,

      Fund Raising is always a hot topic these days. Roberta Dunkel (ArtsEducators
      member) liked the musical instruments idea ("Art of Note") -- which is great
      if you have access to old instruments. She wanted to share a better idea for
      everyone.

      From Roberta:

      Just a note to follow up on the "Art of Note" violin decoration idea. A
      tremendous idea - wish we had a school orchestra but an easier and more
      accessible idea is to decorate chairs.

      Our Capitol City Council on The Arts in Jefferson City, Mo. recently held an
      auction of 50 decorated chairs. My Fifth Grade Art Club decorated and
      donated two chairs that sold for $50.00 a folk art chair and another for
      $125.00 that was a tribute to Vincent Van Gogh - covered with painted
      sunflowers. I am really proud of them selling with the professionals.
      All proceeds are going to the creation of an Arts Center for Children.
      The total take on the 50 chairs was $12,500.00! Three times
      what was expected! A school could do something like this too during
      their Carnival or other fundraising event. (One chair created by a new
      artist in her twenties sold for $1,250 she used an old movie theme, another
      was created to look like our Capitol and another high seller was covered
      with machine embroidery).

      I am still doing Square One Art http://www.square1art.com/ this year with
      my students and receiving the usual enthusiasm and interest from parents
      anxious for the finished products. Will clear about $450.00 I predict.
      A great company to work with. (Email Marty square1art@... or
      marty@... for details to get your own fund raiser going.)

      All,

      Roberta Dunkel
      Many have had success with chair auctions....It is worth a try. You may even
      have a local church or rental place with a batch to donate. Garage sales are
      also a good place for chairs.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources