Best Practices in Teaching Art - Share YOURS

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 7, 2004
      (FYI - Katherine - this is what I needed from you to send to Art Education
      list -- thanks. I couldn't find where I had saved your ArtsEducators' post.
      Kathy - we just come up with a whole new book for you to write)

      Dear Art Educators,

      The "Best Practices for teaching art" come from YOU - who are out there in
      the classroom doing "research" everyday.
      So much of what you read in books is the same things you will hear from
      experienced teachers - they just don't have all the letters/inititials after
      their name like those who write the books. Kathy is working on a textbook
      now....Can't wait to see it out in print!

      Scroll down to Research in Best Practices of Teaching Art:
      http://www.getty.edu/artsednet/hm/Feb04/index.html

      If anyone wants to contribute to a "Best Practices in Teaching Art" to put
      on Incredible Art Department - feel free to post. I will compile everyone's
      words of wisdom and get a file on the site. Maybe someone out there will
      read what we have to say? We know what works with kids.

      From Katherine Douglas

      I read your query about best practice research in art education. The
      Education Alliance at Brown University was funded by the Department of
      Education to create their best practice in education website. We were
      invited to create the content for the visual arts area and you will find so
      much information there. There are stories of teachers in action and four
      succinct research summaries...along with extensive bibliography. This web
      site was created just for teachers like you! I hope that you will visit and
      we would love your feedback. The web address is
      http://knowledgeloom.org/tab. I paste below the press release which
      accompanied the opening of the web site.

      Katherine Douglas
      Teaching for Artistic Behavior Partnership
      Massachusetts
      Knowledge Loom Launches New Spotlight-Choice-Based Art Education

      I looked at a painting by Paul Gaughin. He made a painting with two girls
      sitting down cutting flowers. I made a picture that had two girls. It is of
      me and my mom. She was doing a braid in my hair to go out to eat. We had the
      same clothes on and we both had braids in our hair. I was making hair
      things.

      A Third Grader's Artist Statement

      If you visit The Knowledge Loom (http://knowledgeloom.org/tab), an
      interactive best-practice website created by The Education Alliance at Brown
      University with initial funding from the U.S. Department of Education, you
      will see the tempera painting that this third-grade "Gaughin" created. It's
      just one of several samples of student work that you'll find on one of The
      Loom's newest spotlights: "Choice-based Art-Teaching for Artistic Behavior."
      The spotlight also allows you to listen in on a conversation about the
      pedagogy of choice-based art education and add your own thoughts to an
      online panel discussion. Though many educators advocate for a
      student-centered approach to learning, The Knowledge Loom is the first
      interactive Web resource with this model as a focus in the art room.
      Choice-based art classrooms simulate studios, offering effective
      organization of space, time, and materials that enable students to create
      work which is individual, compelling, and personally meaningful.

      Just what is involved in choice-based art? Katherine Douglas, seasoned
      classroom teacher, practicing artist, and long-time proponent of this way of
      teaching explains, "Sometimes artists are exploring materials which
      ultimately give them their ideas, and so, these materials must be in the
      control of the artist. In a choice-based classroom we make certain that our
      students are in control of their materials, even our very young students . .
      .Some of the best art emerges from student exploration." Douglas and her
      colleagues at the Teaching for Artistic Behavior Partnership developed the
      content for the Loom's art-focused spotlight, based on their many years of
      classroom experience and their own work as artists. Douglas sat down
      recently with John Crowe, chair of the Art Education Department at
      Massachusetts College of Art, and Mary Anne Mather, one of the creators of
      the Loom, to discuss the differences between traditional and choice-based
      art education. As Crowe states, in many conventional classrooms "the art
      teacher essentially is the artist, and the students just carry out
      assignments. They are not really independent explorers." A full transcript
      (along with audio) of their conversation can be found at
      http://www.knowledgeloom.org/tab/tab_transcript.html.

      The spotlight offers best practices in art teaching illustrated with actual
      classroom examples.

      For more information, call Mary Anne Mather at (800) 521-9550, extension
      226.

      Judy Decker - Ohio
      Incredible Art Resources