Re: [art_education] Re: [This SENDER WILL BE BLOCKED UNLESS, CONTACT HELP.D102.ORG] Re: [art_educati

  • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
    Message 1 of 10 , Oct 4, 2009
      I have never had any luck with hand held sharpeners, I am also a firm believer in the handcrank, wall sharpener -- the motor never dies, they are easy to unclog and they always seem to work well...
      It is funny how we get these preferences!
      I wonder if our students are out there going "You know, I never use anything but an electric sharpener...etc...etc...etc."
      MaryJo

      On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 2:47 PM, Janice Benkoske <jbenkoske@...> wrote:

      dick blick makes a good quality generic watercolor pencil...and try having your students use handheld sharpeners to cut down on the waste.

      Jan  in BG

      This communication may contain privileged and/or confidential information. It
      is intended solely for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended
      recipient, you are strictly prohibited from disclosing, copying, distributing
      or using any of this information. If you received this communication in error,
      please contact the sender immediately and destroy the material in its entirety,
      whether electronic or hard copy. This communication may contain nonpublic personal
      information about consumers subject to the restrictions of the
      Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. You may not directly or indirectly reuse or redisclose
      such information for any purpose other than to provide the services for which
      you are receiving the information.

      MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

    • artsypffartsy
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 5, 2009
        This year I bought 12 prismacolor hand held pencil sharpeners. I keep them in the boxes of colored pencils. They sharpen colored pencils beautifully by hand, so NO oversharpening occurs, and it is easy for kids to keep their pencils sharp as they are using them. Can't recommend a watercolor colored pencil as I only use student grade prismas, but the sharpeners would work for any sharpening issues.

        --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, "Christy" <branhams@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone recommend a watercolor pencil brand that is better than Crayola? It doesn't have to be "artist grade" because I teach elementary, but I don't think the Crayola watercolor pencils last long at all. I'm patrolling the pencil sharpeners to make sure no one is sharpening them too much, but I am really frustrated that the classpack that I purchased has not lasted longer. I'd appreciate any ideas- thanks!

      • MaryJo Rosania-Harvie
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2009
          I read that email wrong the first time...
          You asked about WATERCOLOR pencils...I like Stadler. They are really nice as pencils and work beautifully with water.
          They are called Aquarelles (I think...) something like that.
          MaryJo

          --
          MaryJo Rosania-Harvie

        • Dan Triplett
          Message 4 of 10 , Oct 5, 2009
            Any suggestions for getting kids to draw figures that are NOT stick people?  Many of my older kids will make an interesting drawing but then include simple stick people.

            Dan
          • artsypffartsy
            Message 5 of 10 , Oct 6, 2009
              If there are a lot of them adding the stick figures, I would re-teach (even if for the 1,000th time) how to draw a figure and tell them that they may NOT draw stick figures, but that they must try to add people to their drawings. That should do it.

              --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Dan Triplett <dtriplett@...> wrote:

              > Any suggestions for getting kids to draw figures that are NOT stick people? Many of my older kids will make an interesting drawing but then include simple stick people.
              >
              > Dan

            • gayleparent
              Message 6 of 10 , Oct 7, 2009
                --- In art_education@yahoogroups.com, Dan Triplett <dtriplett@...> wrote:

                > Any suggestions for getting kids to draw figures that are NOT stick people? Many of my older kids will make an interesting drawing but then include simple stick people.
                >
                > Dan

                I teach my students to draw sausage people. Sounds weird, but they practice by doing gesture drawings with these sausage people, and then they learn to erase the "links" to make a more realistic person, and I think it helps them to create people that look realistic, so they are proud of them.

                Each link of the sausage is from one joint to the next, so an arm is represented by two links and a hand. The torso is a link, and so on. The kids like it, and it works pretty well.